Aunt Jane

The bed is warm. Like warmer than usual and I love it. I feel the need to snuggle closer to whatever I am holding onto. Or whatever is holding me.

I open my eyes and look up to see Arius's resting face. That is when I remember that he somehow snuck into my house and crawled into bed with me. I indulge in this rare opportunity to see such peace on his face. He is usually angry, annoyed, or some other extreme. Right now, his brows are not furrowed, and his full lips are slightly parted, letting out clam breathes.

Being in his arms makes me feel at peace. His arms are strong, and they hold me close to his body. I don't think I can sleep alone from now on.

His eyes flutter open, and I smile up at him as his dark blue eyes focus on me. A small, tired smile forms on his face and I stretch my neck to kiss his cheek.

"That was bull shit," he says before kissing me fully on my lips. I laugh against his lip.

"How did you get into my house?" I ask him.

"Magic." He chuckles and throws a pillow over his face.

"Sure, creep." I sit up and instantly regret leaving the warmth of the bed and his arms. "I have to make a phone call. I'm going to..." I pause when I feel the bed shake and I look at Arius. His hands are tightly clenching the pillow over his face. "Arius?" Nothing.

I reach over, hoping that he is laughing or something. After removing the pillow, I see his face contorted into pain and his eyes held shut.

"Arius?!" He clenches his teeth and my blood runs cold when I see them grow long and sharp. "What is happening?"

His whole body shakes and he turn over, rolling off the bed. He lets out a grunt when he hits the floor and tries to stand. I jump off the bed and try to help him up. A sharp pain goes through my arm when his hand holds onto me. I suck in a breath and look down to see that his long claws are cutting into my arm.

"Arius, what is wrong? How can I help?" I ask, ignoring the pain in my arm.

He opens his eyes with a gasp, and I see my reflection in their blackness. "Get me to the water." I nod and try to help him walk towards my bedroom door. "Holly, let me go."

"What? Why?"

"I'm hurting you. Look at your arms."

I look down and notice new marks from his claws. "It doesn't matter." I lean him against the wall, and she continues to shake and hunches over. I open the door and look down the hall and call out for Abuela and mom. I get no response back which means I'm in the clear.

I let him lean on me and we hobble towards the back porch overlooking the ocean. "Arius, please tell me what is happening?"

He grunts as we walk down the wooden steps. "I'm shifting. I can't control it sometimes now."

"What do you mean now? What changed?"

He groans again as he tries to control himself. We are so close to the water, and I pray to God that we make it there. That nothing that he seems to be afraid of happens.

As soon as the water hits our feet, he pushes himself off me and stumbles into the ocean. "Arius, please. How can I help."

He pauses but I regret stopping him. I wish I could help him. I need to be there with him, but I know I cannot go where he is going. I feel tears of frustration forming in my eyes.

"I'm running out of time. I'm sorry, Holly." He looks back at me with sadness in his eyes before he enters the water and disappears.

I jump when I see a fin and arm flash out of the water. It looks twisted and painful. I can hear a growl of pain from the water and the tears start pouring. His shift is cruel, unforgiving, and punishing. Eventually the water stills, and I find myself shaking alone on the deserted beach.