Chapter 1: The invasion begins

The Tesseract is seen.

The Other-'The Tesseract has awakened. It is on a little world. A human world. They would wield its power. But our ally knows its workings as they never will. He is ready to lead. And our force, our Chitauri, will follow.'

He hands Loki the scepter.

Thousands of Chitauri are preparing for battle.

The Other-'The world will be his. The universe, yours. And the humans, what can they do but burn?'

X

A helicopter flies over a SHIELD base. Someone over a PA says that the evacuation orders been confirmed. Agents are fleeing the premises.

Agent Coulson(Phil Coulson) watches as a helicopter lands, Maria Hill and Nick Fury step out of it.

Fury-(impatiently) 'How bad is it?'

Coulson-'We don't know.'

They enter the building.

Coulson-'DrSelvig read an energy surge from the Tesseract four hours ago.'

Fury-'NASA didn't authorize Selvig to test phase.'

Coulson-'He wasn't testing it, he wasn't even in the room. It is just a Spontaneous advancement.'

Maria-'Did it just turn itself on?'

Fury-'What are the energy levels now?'

Coulson-'Climbing; when Selvig couldn't shut it down, we ordered the evacuation.'

Scientists are packing up their things.

Fury-'How long to get everyone out?'

Coulson-'Campus should be clear in the next half hour.'

Maria-'Sir, evacuation may be futile.'

Fury-(sarcastically) 'We should tell them to go back to sleep?'

Maria-'If we can't control the Tesseract's energy, there may not be a minimum safe distance.'

Fury-'I need you to make sure that Phase 2 prototypes are shipped out.'

Maria-'Sir, is that really a priority right now?'

Fury-'Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on. Clear out the tech below. Get every piece of Phase 2 on a truck and go.'

Fury walks up to Selvig.

Fury-'Is there anything we know for certain?'

Selvig-'The Tesseract is misbehaving.'

Fury-'Is that supposed to be funny?'

Selvig-'No, it's not funny at all. The Tesseract is not only active, she's... misbehaving.'

Fury-'How soon until you pull the plug?'

Selvig-'She's an energy source. If we turn off the power, she turns it back on. If she reaches peak level...'

Fury-'We've prepared for this when we started harnessing energy from space.'

Selvig-'We don't have the harness. Our calculations are far from complete. Now she's throwing off interference, radiation. Nothing harmful, just low levels of gamma radiation.'

Fury-'That can be harmful. Where's Agent Barton?'

Selvig-[he points behind him] 'The Hawk? Up in his nest, as usual.'

Clint Barton (A.K.A. Hawkeye) is in the rafters watching them. Clint climbs down and starts walking with Fury.

Fury-'Agent Barton, report to me. I gave you the details so you could keep a close eye on things.'