Chapter 25

Mamá had put food on the table for everyone. There was a bowl of rabo encendido (oxtail stew) placed in front of each seat and one on the counter which Lance assumed was for his "Papá."

He wasn't exactly surprised about the family drama that went down earlier. Papá wasn't the most agreeable man out there, but the slightly disappointed son was only hoping that his intended role model would open his conservative mind for the sake of his children.

A ring-held hand was placed on top of his, making the Cuban boy look up to meet Keith's eyes. Keith sent a soft, reassuring smile and a gentle squeeze from said hand. Lance reciprocated the smile and laid his head on the latter's shoulder.

"Eat your food, mijo," Mamá demanded as she pointed her large wooden spoon at her son.

Lance groaned as he sat up and grinned mischievously at his mom. "Mamá remember when you burnt that stew and you panicked so much that you burned your underwear trying to fan it ou- OOF!"

The poor boy fell off his chair as he held his stomach, groaning in pain. Mamá smiled and lifted Lance's chin. She leaned down to his ear and whispered in native tongue, "I remember when you wouldn't stop wetting the bed until you were 12. I'm sure Keith would love to hear that story, right? Don't mess with your ma, mijo ."

Lance sat back up, still holding his stomach and pout in his chair. "That is so unfair!"

"Life is unfair, my son," Mamá mused.

The crew was confused except Allura, who understood what her mother said. She howled at the scene, mentally crying as she tried to eat her stew. The group laughed until the old man came into the kitchen.

The room fell silent instantly. Papá shuffled in his blanket toward the bowl of stew left on the counter. The old woman turned to her husband, speaking in spanish. "I'm sorry, my love. I was going to come soon with your meal but I got distracted."

He let out a huff in acknowledgement and looked at Keith. The pale boy stared back into the sickly man's blue, nearly similar to Lance's, orbs. The atmosphere was far too heavy to cut the immense tension between the two. If it was a regular human, they wouldn't take the stare of a cold tough man like Lance's father, Lance knew that from experience. After a few painful seconds, the old man continued his way into the living room.

Everyone noticed that there wasn't air in the kitchen once they all breathed out in relief. "I wonder what that was for," Matt asked after he, very quickly, ate all of his stew. Keith and Lance stared in shock at Matt's unusual talent while Allura and Shiro rolled their eyes simultaneously.

"I'm not sure," Keith answered. He never had someone stare with so much...hatred? Was that even the right feeling the old man displayed? The last person who stared at him like that was his mother during the "hard times." His shoulders tensed up, only to relax seconds later once Lance replaced his hand back on top of Keith's.

.

.

.

The group finished their meals and tried to help Mamá clean up the kitchen. After refusing numerous times and ending with a threat to get hit with a spoon, the crew decided to just head to bed as they were told. They said their good nights and went upstairs, Lance and Allura kissing their mom on each side of her cheeks.

They both went to the living room and saw their dad sleeping on the couch, his blanket was falling off his large figure. The old man was obviously shivering from the cold. Lance and Allura each grabbed a side of the blanket and recovered their father. He stopped shivering and slept cozily. They walked out of the room and nearly stopped once they heard a froggy voice.

"Thank you."

.

There were two rooms ready for the group. One for the engaged couple and one for the love trio. They separate to their sleeping chambers and get ready to sleep.

In the bathroom, Lance was applying his sleeping mask while Keith brushed his hair. They didn't say much to each other ever since the incident in the kitchen. Lance wasn't sure what to say. Whether he should mention it or not depended on how Keith was feeling. He didn't want to make his fiance anymore comfortable than the latter already was. Lance was also worried that he might scare his love away, so the Cuban felt like he was stepping on thin ice.

"Your mom is pretty awesome," Keith said, trying to break the unusual silence. Lance looked up in surprise.

"O-oh. Yeah, she's amazing. I'm very lucky to have her." Lance gasped at the realization of what he said.

Lance mentally broke his skull in. "Why would you say that knowing what Keith went through, you dumbass!"

"You shouldn't feel bad. She's going to be my mom soon right? So, I'm happy," Keith set down his brush and sat on top of the counter, patting his lap for a signal Lance knew. The Latter kneeled down and laid his head on top of his lover's lap. The pale boy rubbed his hands through the short brown locks.

When Keith allowed Lance onto his lap, this was a time where Lance would say whatever was on his mind. This was called "Cry Baby Lance Time," which was arguable on Lance's terms but there was no chance in convincing Keith otherwise.

Lance wasn't one to talk much about himself, especially when it came to relying on others with his emotions. That was the sole purpose of CBLT, to give the Cuban all Keith's undivided attention to whatever Lance had to say. Because, as Keith said, "Your feelings, values, and thoughts are as important as anyone else's."

Lance sighed in frustration toward his thoughts.

"I was worried that my dad would scare you away. That you'd leave me behind," Lance confessed. Keith froze in petting his partner and kissed his forehead.

"I would never leave you just because your father doesn't approve. There are many parents all over the world that also have a hard time accepting their child's love interest, but that shouldn't make anyone want to give up on their love. You are Lance McClain, my future husband. And if this obstacle, out of the many we will face as husbands, occur then we will figure it out. That is not going to be a reason why we would separate."

Lance looked up to Keith and nodded his head slowly. "Thank you, mi amor . I'm glad that you're the one I get to marry."

Keith leaned down for a kiss. The two finished getting ready for bed and slid underneath the covers to cuddle.

He was right. Disapproval should never be the reason why a love must end, unless it carries more value than the love itself. Lance knew that, but he was grateful to hear it from his future husband. He felt like he didn't deserve someone as humble and understanding as Keith, but he was all the more happy that someone as amazing could stay by his side despite all the hardships and flaws.

Once they closed their eyes, they heard gently banging heard on the opposite side of the wall. The couple opened their lids quickly and stared at each other while soft moaning traveled to their hearing as well. They laughed awkwardly as Keith took out two pairs of earplugs from his bag.

"I'm so gonna get Allura in the morning," Lance swore right before falling asleep.