6

JIMIN POV

I stood behind the bar and
stared at my phone, willing
the moments to pass.

It was early so business was slow and hell, it made the time drag.

Elliot was busy restocking the shelves, while all I had to occupy myself with was cleaning things I'd already cleaned.

Oh and keeping an eye on the time.

7:50 p.m.

Ten minutes until eight.

Six hundred seconds at most before I'd see him.

In a way, I wanted Jungkook to run late because then I'd have
a reason to tell him thanks but no thanks and avoid the situation without any repercussions.

Go back to the existence I'd always known without regret.

Sure, I'd be disappointed and
my curiosity about him would no doubt continue to drive me to distraction but I'd get over it.

Eventually.

If nothing else, at least I'd be oblivious to what I'd missed.

But, I'd always wonder.

Fuck!

Heaving a sigh, I rearranged the glasses in the dishwasher before resting my elbows on the bar.

Sliding my gaze toward the entrance once again, I glanced
at the time, then counted down three hundred more seconds.

7:55 p.m.

Tempted as I was to pour myself a shot or ten, I made sure we had enough ice instead all the while contemplating my life's direction.

I found myself wondering if things were as good as I'd
once thought.

I had family and friends.

Well Nadi, hobi, and his aggravating as shit boyfriend, anyway.

Then there was the endless supply of men at my beck and call and more money than I
could ever need in a lifetime.

So, why in hell was I stressing?

I should be happy, not pining for someone I'd yet to meet.

"Hey, boss?"

"You okay or what?"

"You look like you're about to crap your pants."

"Why don't you shut up and go clean something?"

I glowered at Elliot as he began to wipe down the section of bar I'd been leaning on, tongue piercing caught between his teeth as he gave me a grin.

Elliot was one blunt mother
fucker.

He hadn't shared a lot about his past but what I did know was his family were nothing but a bunch of misfits, crooks and assholes.

Being related to toxic people
was something I could relate to and I respected the fact that he was making a genuine attempt
to carve out an honest life for himself.

By the time Elliot had eased up on the tough guy attitude, I realized what an asset he'd become.

Yes, he could pour a mean drink but what impressed me the most was how he was good at relating to all kinds of people.

Colorful but good.

I witnessed this first-hand the night of the youth center launch.

Luke had asked us to run the bar, and when Elliot had sauntered by, talking and laughing with the kids who comprised the clientele like it was second nature, I had to admit I was impressed.

When Luke called and recommended Elliot for a job not long after, I'd taken the meeting and hired him on the spot and
it had proven to be a great decision thus far.

Elliot had also done time in juvenile detention and if not for this job, prison could have become a real possibility.

Instead, the kid had spent
every moment he could working his ass off and learning every thing there was to know about the club and its operations.

His first few days here? Scarily intense. He kept to himself and had an air of distrust about him.

The cynical part of me warned he was casing the place but over time, he began to loosen up.

Showed who he was and became part of the team in a big way.

My instincts told me someday he'd make a great floor manager, too.

He had an inner strength nobody could fake and the personality
to make customers feel at ease,
all while handling high levels of pressure as though it were no
big deal.

Aside from a couple of shady looking friends paying him the occasional visit, only to be turned away when he told them he was working and couldn't stop to talk, he'd been doing great.

That proved he was trying with all he could to put the past behind him. He was also funny.

Made us laugh a lot.

He'd even taken to the stage on a couple of open mic nights and cracked some awesome jokes.

"Nah, it's too much fun making your puny ass squirm."

"So, tell me."

"Why's this Jungkook dude got you on edge anyway? He a past conquest who wants seconds?"

I shot him the death glare.

"Nope."

"More like hobi has decided to call in a favor and demand I hire the guy, no questions asked."

"Ah, so he's like me. Needs a bit of saving from himself then."

Elliot gave me a look that told me he understood.

"No, smartass."

Ignoring my comment, he continued.

"Or maybe he's here to save someone else."

"Ever think about that?"

I found myself smiling and Elliot picked up on it right away, grinning at me like he knew a secret I wasn't privy to.

In response, I did what any mature person would do and grabbed a handful of sliced lemons before aiming them at Elliot's face, where they met their mark and dropped to the floor.

He responded by throwing a couple back my way.

We both laughed as we cleaned up the mess before he made his way around the bar, grabbed his tray and wandered toward the tables where a few groups of customers were chilling.

I checked my watch again and swallowed.

Jungkook had a minute to go before he'd be late and for some reason I couldn't explain, worry began to gnaw at my gut.

Hobi's infectious laughter burst through my thoughts before they had a chance to spiral out of control, my heart thumping like
a snare drum the second I laid eyes on the man who would be my newest employee.

______________________________________