FOURTEEN: fire

SUNLIGHT SHONE THROUGH A gap between the leaves of the trees, casting a lovely glow on the forest floor

SUNLIGHT SHONE THROUGH A gap between the leaves of the trees, casting a lovely glow on the forest floor. It perfectly contrasted the stark green leaves and the sticky brown mud. Occasionally, the sun would fall across a set of leaves that created a beautiful spiralling pattern.

It was amazing, really. It almost made Akuji forget she was in the middle of a world where she could die everyday and she could possibly being hunted by a serial killer with no remorse, the King of Spades, at that very moment. Akuji wanted to stop and admire it, but she was so intimidated by Aguni and she was so afraid that one wrong move would send Akane far, far away from her again, that she was practically clinging to Arisu.

"The King of Spades is always on the move, looking for players to kill." Aguni told the group.

"But it's not random, right? It feels targeted." Akane asked, being his most loyal follower as always. Aguni seemed to be a mentor to her and a big inspiration - Akane also wanted to bone him, but Akuji didn't like thinking about that factor of their relationship.

Aguni nodded grimly, "I bet he's keeping tabs on us. We'll find a good spot to ambush him. The King of Spades is never going to stop. He's already killed so many. I figured we'd be safe if we stayed out here in the woods, but that didn't stop him." He stopped to check his travelling equipment, "The compass is saying we should be near Kichijoji station."

Arisu frowned, looking at his surroundings doubtfully, "Um, are you sure?"

Aguni did not answer and instead continued walking. The others followed after him, much like a bunch of lost puppies. The forest around them seemed to stretch on for miles and miles, and whenever Akuji turned to look at a different part of the woods, it messed with her mind and she swore she was staring at the same place - everything looked the exact same to her.

She was glancing at her surroundings as she continued to walk after the group. Distracted, she did not realise they had stopped their journey momentarily and she bumped straight into Arisu.

When she turned to see what they were all staring at, her mouth fell open in a loud gasp. Her eyes widened, her eyebrows shooting straight up. There was a dead body in front of them. And it wasn't just a simple corpse, no, it was a corpse hanging from a tree, a rope around their neck.

They had committed suicide.

Akuji felt sick to her stomach. She figured that someone would kill theirself in this world, especially with its dangerous and difficult games, even more so when people committed suicide in the old world and their biggest problems were bills and money. Still, it shook the girl to her core. Knowing that it happened was one thing but seeing it up close had rendered the Akuji unable to function.

Upon hearing her gasp, Arisu turned to Akuji and quickly covered her eyes with his hand, exclaiming, "Cover your eyes!"

But it was too late.

"He killed himself before his visa could run out." Aguni presumed.

Akane scoffed, shaking her head in disapproval, "That son of a bitch didn't even fight. He just took the easy way out."

"You can't say that!" Akuji exclaimed, shocked by her ex-friend's words. "It can't be easy doing that. It has to be the most difficult thing in the world. I mean, in a world like this, can you really blame them?"

"All I know is that I'll never make that choice." Akane stated as she begun to walk off.

Arisu, seemingly taking offence from Akane's words, furrowed his eyebrows at her and asked, "Haven't you ever lost someone your close to in a game?"

Akane halted her movements. She seemed to become distant. Her eyes glazed over, as if she was trapped in a memory. "No, I haven't, but I owe a debt to the me who survived my first game. I'm here because of what she did. So, I'll survive no matter the cost. I'll never take the easy way out. I have to keep living because what I lost was an important piece of who I was." She turned to Akuji, holding her gaze for a few seconds - and those few seconds were enough to make Akuji's entire skin burn with regret and shame - before looking down at her amputated leg.

It made Akuji feel like breaking down then and there, wanting to fall to her knees and repeat apologies over and over. It wouldn't be for forgiveness, though, she knew that would never happen; never in a million years. It would be so that Akane knew how truly sorry Akuji was and hopefully, it would ease Akane's pain just a little. Even if it made her feel the tiniest amount better, it would be worth it to Akuji.

Simply put, Akuji would set herself on fire if it meant seeing Akane happy.

"I'm really, really sorry, Akane." Akuji said, voice cracking and tears pricking her eyes.

Akane shook her head, walking away, "Just leave it."

And that, the coldness in Akane's voice, her hostile body language - that felt like Akuji had been set on fire.

AUTHOR NOTES
hi y'all! i started school again today and i have exams in about a month so i'll be doing a lot of studying. this means i have less time to write. i'll still try to upload one chapter each day that's around 1k words give or take a bit, but if i i disappear for a day or two it'll be because i'm swamped with school work. but hopefully that doesn't happen!!