Chapter Seventeen

Chapter 17: Again

The past few minutes leading up to this point flashed by (Y/N)'s eyes. Her and Muichirou were gardening, Oyakata-Sama's quarters exploded, Kibutsuji was there and everyone closed in on him, they were brought to this place, hordes of demons chased after them, they were forced into a corner against Upper Moon One, Muichirou was left unarmed, and now her and Genya were injured.

Everything happened so fast. How did things go to hell this quickly?

"I won't let it end like this..." (Y/N) huffed. Suddenly, feeling overwhelmed with emotions, it was as if she had a physical reaction. Rage, fear, stress, and determination combined, making her body feel like it was set on fire. Without her knowing, a mark resembling a flaming heart appeared on her chest.

Bursting with energy, she swiftly pulled Muichirou's blade out of her shoulder, threw it to him, sprinted to her blade and then to Kokushibou. "I'm sending you straight to hell, fucker!"

Before Kokushibou could strike Genya again, (Y/N) stopped his attack and even managed to cut part of his hair with her blade. "Fascinating. You've unlocked your mark in the very nick of time. How lucky. Well, luck can only get you so far..." Kokushibou tried to attack (Y/N) but she dodged it this time.

"Luck? Get real. You just can't accept that I can defeat you with my own strength." (Y/N) smirked. "Should've killed me when you had the chance!"

"You say that as if I don't." Kokushibou unleashed multiple attacks and (Y/N) avoided them all. She got up close to him and their swords clashed rapidly. It was a real fight now, not just an Upper Moon toying with her. With the new power of this mark, her speed was remarkable. She was naturally faster than most people already, but with a mark, she was faster than most demons. In terms of speed, Kokushibou had met his match.

Sanemi stepped foot onto the battlefield, and after seeing Genya injured, he jumped into the fight with (Y/N). Muichirou, with his blade back in his hands, observed them, trying to find a spot to join the intense fight.

Genya spotted the part of Kokushibou's hair that (Y/N) chopped off, and ate it to regrow his arm.

Gyoumei joined them and they all cornered Kokushibou. It seemed like they were going to win until things we south out of nowhere. Kokushibou released an attack that harmed everyone. Both (Y/N) and Sanemi lost fingers and Genya was sliced in half. Before they could recuperate, he released another lethal attack. Multiple blades emerging from his body were about to strike (Y/N), but Muichirou blocked it. He got in front of her and practically tackled her to take the hit. There were blades stabbed through many areas, but the most deadly one was the heart. (Y/N) thought she was doing so good, but it only took one blow to change everything.

"Oh God, no... no..." (Y/N) rushed him away from Kokushibou and fell to her knees, sitting beside him. "Muichirou..."

"(Y/N)..." somehow, Muichirou was still able to smile at her as he muttered, "go. Please, don't worry about me, kill that demon..."

"No! If I leave you here, you'll die alone!"

"Then know that I love you..."

"But-"

"Do it for me..." Muichirou said softly as his eyes began to close.

(Y/N) looked to Kokushibou, his form becoming more and more indecipherable. What a disgusting sight. It filled her with rage. She sprinted to him, sadness in her eyes and a burning anger in her heart. "A MONSTER LIKE YOU DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE ALIVE!" She screamed, her blade meeting his neck until, just like Muichirou's, hers turned a bright red.