Chapter 2

• Dedicated to Preston

   Clark and I sat at the counters the rest of the time in silence. We were just doing our makeup. We ended up choosing a Yellow Glitter eyeshadow and Pink lips. I starightened my hair and Clark put hers in two pigtail braids. We got dressed and looked at each other.

    I smiled, "we look exactly alike."

   "You really think? I think we should get going so we can get the horses loaded."

   "That's a good idea and i also need to clean out Jujubees Hoove shoes anyway."

   "Ya and i need to give lulu her meds."

    We walked down the stairs and our parents were all talking over wine.

    "Well dont you two look like cutie pies" Tom, Clarks Dad, said.

    "Dadddd" Clark wined.

   "We got to get going to load the horses. So we're gonna get going." I said.

   We Left the house and i took my dads Old Ford Truck I use for hauling the horses. We pulled into the stable parking lot and jumped out of the truck.

   "Hey Jujubee" I opend her stall door and let her walk out. She trotted towards me. I Gave her a kiss and we walked over to the Cleaning station. I picked her shoes, groomed her and put her hair in a braid. Then I threw an apple in the trailer and she galloped towards and walked in the trailer. I Closed her side of the gate.

   "Hey Clark! I got our saddles in the back and Juju is in, I'm gonna be in the truck."

   "Okay thanks!" she hollered back.

    A Couple minutes later she jumped in the truck and put on her sunglasses. I idled the truck and turned the radio up loud and pulled out. The drive was about 20 minutes so we had more than enough time. Clark turned the radio off and answered her phone. I wasn't really paying attenion but after she hung up she said, "That Danny and Derek. They're going to be there tonight."

   "Oh great. Derek still likes me even after 6 years." I groaned. Derek and Danny are the twins. The look exactly alike with their Brown hair and brown eyes. Same muscle build. But Dereks more outgoing than Danny. We pulled into the back lot where every puts their horses or the bulls. I jumped down from the truck and walked to the triler when i heard guys screaming. I looked up and i saw Danny and Derek running towars me. Danny picked me up and Derek joined.

  "Ahh Guys, you know i have to breath too." They set me down and they smacked my butt.

   "Dude we havent seen you in forever wheres Clark?" Derek asked.

   "Shes in the trailer stupid." I said. I opened my side of the trailer and Juju immeatiatly smiled at me.

   "aren't you a pretty girl!" I Got out of the way and she walked out and galloped toward the pasture. Shes always loved the pasture grass here but she loves her human food more. I was walking towards the pasture gate when an hand grabbed my arm. I jumped.

   "What the hell. Hey. Your the waiter!" I said. There was Scott was in blue jeans, cowboy boots, and a dirty white t-shirt.

   "Wheres Clark?"

   "I dont know but your not aloud to see her." I said

   "Why?"

   "Because i said so and your a boy. And a mean one too!"

   "I want to ask her out."

  I Looked at him stupid, "You do?"

  Only after our race or at the concert tonight. Every Friday night there was a concert up in the pavilion during the summer after all then rodeos. You know so the cow boys and girls can meet up and talk.

  I walked away and he didnt follow me and i wasnt expecting him to. I opened the gate for Juju and she ran in. i walked in cause i saw that Danny, Derek and Clark were all siting in our fort in the back. We made a little meeting spot cause we used to go to rodeos and like spend the night but we dont do that anymore. They were making wild flower headbands. I plopped down and fixed my hair by running my fingers through it. Clark got up and put my headband on my head. It was bluebells my favortite flower.

   "I don't know about you guys but i'm hungry" Danny said.

  "Ya and I need to get Juju her food also shes getting hungry." I clould tell she was walked over to me and was nibbling on my hair. Igot up and dusted the dirt off my butt and tapped Jujus backside two times and she walked forward. She stopped at the gate and i opened and let her hout. I was walking alone. I just needed to think. Clark had been acting awfully weird this afternoon. I grabbed the blanket and I floded it and threw it onto Jujubees back. I walked her over to the steps and I climbed up on her. I was used to riding bearback. In fact she loved it more than the saddle. She walked me over to the food stands and stopped. I saw a whole bunch of people but instantly found Derek and Danny and Clark. I tied Jujubee up and ran towards them. 

   "There you are! We lost you. Oh I see Jujubee now." Clark said,

   "Ya stupid." I said.

  We got in line and we goofed off basically. It was my turn to order food.

    I said in a thick Texan Accent. "Ya I'll have 5 Bonless wings barberques and a buck of boneless chiken wings and a nice glass of tea."

    "Dont you think thats a lot for a little lady like you?" the server said.

   "Ohh trust me shes an eater." Clark said.

   I got my food and walked back over to Jujubee and i sat down in the grass and she started eating her chicken wings. Derek walked over to me because he knew wherever Juju was, I was there too. The sun had just set and the fireflies were coming out. one landed on my hand and i shooed it away.

    "Hey Sadie" Derek said. Jujubee snorted and she continued to eat.

   "Hey what." I said in return.

   "I know you know that i like you. Do you wanna go out on date or something?" He asked

   I thought about it and I said, "Sure why not?"

  I was thinking that Derek would be the kind of guy that would treat me well because thats how most Texas men are. They're not like other guys in this country wh treat girls like a pice of horse crap.

 After Jujubee finished eating Derek got up and helped me up, And i tapped Juju on the butt and she started walking. Clark found us, "Did you ask her out?"

  "Yes he did." I said back.

  "Well what did you say?!"

  "That he was the sickest, meanest, rudest, cowboy I'd ever meet!", I said smiling.

  "Thats a lie! You said Sure!"

   I started laughing and Derek grabbed me and put me in a half Nelson. Clark put her hand on Dannys chest and Danny put his arm around her waist, "Ohh they grow so fast don't they Dan?"

   "Why yes, yes they do."

  I started laughing even more and Juju i could tell was enjoying this she was picking her leg up and pulling back. I loved our little rodeo family.

   "Well Mr. Guy who is dating my best friend, I need to take her away at once so she can get ready for her race." Clark said grabbing my arm.

   We got on Juju and trotted back to the trailers. We got our saddles on and our sequin cowboy hats. Our Dads found us and wanted to take pictures. after we had our photo session, We got on our horses and rode over to the pastureand worked on some galloping techniques. Thats when i saw Scott walking over, again.