CHAPTER 4

I don't believe i got enough sleep. I woke up at 4:00AM to find that the rain had lessened to a patter against the window while Kaden slept peacefully, with his hand still around my waist.

Remembering what could have happened between us last night had me awestruck that I had the brain to think such things, but I couldn't stay for that. I had to be at home, and there was still no reply, although i left my phone on all night hoping for a response.

No missed call, no messages, nothing to let me know that Avelyn is fine and everything is okay at home. I gently lifted Kaden's arm off me and slipped out of the bed, taking the clothes i folded into the laundry basket by the sink and wrote a note of my departure for him at his study table.

I may consider it archaic to be leaving letters for my boyfriend like it's the 60's but i don't believe the first thing he'd check when he woke up was his phone since he follows a specific routine I've come to know all these years.

Workouts in the morning, shower, food and then he carries on with other activities. Some of which i knew, others i didn't know.

I fold it and tape it to the TV because it'd be obvious since it directly faces the bed, but if he doesn't see it, then i don't know.

I move to his side, dropping a quick kiss to his head and leaving, lightly closing the door and tip toeing downstairs until I'm out of the house, with no one awake and in sight.

I'm greeted by the damp and cold atmosphere as i made my way out of the fence gate and onto the sidewalk, heading back home. I felt bad for leaving without an explanation to Kaden's parents, at least, but i could always explain myself later.

Right now, my only concern was making sure that Avelyn was safe so that this erratic onslaught in my chest that doesn't seem to want to go away will fade for good this time.

I wiped eyes from the drizzle of rain that kept falling on them as i walked briskly to my house on the rather empty and quiet street.

It's surprising that the escalating murder cases in the neighbouring town have, in its unique way, placed a halt to the once lively town that never slept.

Usually at this time and earlier than 4:00AM, you could find kids walking down the street, people lounging at River's Diner, mini social gatherings on the patio of a neighbor's home and many other fun and interactive activities but now, the town is a cemetery by 6:00PM and no life is present except a couple of animals until daybreak where people are wide and awake, rushing through each day to avoid staying out late as if danger lurked nearby.

Thinking about all this didn't let me feel comfortable in the darkness of dawn, wherein I walked. A sensation of being watched crawled up my neck. Taking a deep breath, i quickened my steps while envisioning myself in the security of my house.

Upon arrival, with an ache in my feet from speed walking, i opened the fence gate and looked around, noticing that nothing had changed.

Ava's bike was not in front of the house, which made me suspicious, but i killed that thought, remembering she could have parked it behind the house.

The lights were off, which was very unusual unless someone was home. I exhaled, gathered myself together, and pushed the door open to find that the place was extra quiet. The dim lights in the hall and along the stairway were on.

Looking upstairs, the doors were closed, and there was no sign of life, which was quite unsettling as i tiptoed upstairs to my sisters room. I gently pushed her door open, but i couldn't see any figure in the bed.

I switched on the lights, illuminating sequined fairy wings and seashells that cast sparkles on the wall. The place looked untouched.

The bed looked untouched, nothing seemed out of place and i could feel the worry growing but I take a moment to clear my mind, remembering that she could also be in our mom's room since there were days where she crashed there when she's had a nightmare or just wants to be there for the night.

Veil Of TruthOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara