CHAPTER 2

Going back inside, i returned to my room to get some sleep while my mom was downstairs preparing dinner. Before i could fully melt into the softness and comfort of the foam, my phone beeped and I opened it to find a message from Kaden.

If it were any other person, not that i had many friends to begin with, i would have ignored it because my sleep was important, but with him, i couldn't do that.

Kade: I'm off duty right now. Come over?" i smiled at his horrible use of emojis. He really didn't know what to use in complementing his context.

It reminds of the day when he mistakenly used the laughing emoji to respond to an announcement concerning the death of our classmates' mother, uncovered to us in the class group chat created for assignment assistance. That day was painfully dramatic, I felt bad for him until he had to explain why the following day

Me: Sure, lemme check with my mom first.

I reluctantly got off the bed, throwing on a denim jacket to cover the tank top and fixed my loose brown coils before heading down stairs.

"Mom, I'm going to Kaden's place." Without looking up from the vegetables she was cutting, she responded

"Okay, be back early for dinner,"

"Can i take the car?" she gazed up with a distrustful look, shakes her head and mouths a 'no'. I left it there and then because once my mom disagreed with something, that's the end of the story.

As displeasing as the thought of walking my tired self there felt, I was out the house already.

Walking down the street, i make a turn to the town's square, where all the shops were located, to grab some food from River's Diner- a go-to spot in Phirrewood.

Arriving at the place, I push the glass doors and greet Gary, the friendly Jamaican who owns the place. He'd come to love Kaden and i like his own kids over the years we've spent here.

"What can i get you today, sweetie? And where's your boyfriend?" A teasing smile lighted his face, and i playfully roll my eyes.

He has teased Kaden and I since the day he met us, saying we would look good together. I wouldn't oppose it if that ever happened, but i didn't want to ruin our years of friendship based on a grown man's jesting.

"Actually, I'm getting this order for us Papa. I want the usual of onion rings -

"2XL fries, chicken nuggets, and freshly squeezed lemonade. I know my stuff, dear. " i chuckle, raising my hands in surrender. Once he had finished packing the food to-go, i took the order and paid for it

"Extend my regards to your mom and Avelyn." i nod with a smile, heading out and making my way to Kaden's place with our fuel in hand.

Taking a turn out of Town Square and down Dewberry Street, i arrived at 309 a few minutes later and rung the doorbell to have Kaden open it like the flash.

"Someone was expecting me." he threw his arms around me with my head on his chest, and i caught a whiff of coconut in his blue shirt.

"Of course, and i see you brought sustenance." i raised the bags with pure glee, and he laughs, pulling me inside and into his minimalistic duplex home.

"Welcome Chloe, how are you and the family?" his parents Mr. and Mrs. Alabaster, cheerfully ask in turn as they watched a movie from the couch.

"We're all well," i responded with a smile, pure happiness in my heart as i admired their relationship, which reminded me of my own parents.

Kaden pulled me upstairs to a neatly organized room, and we sat on his bed as i unpacked the meal and he prepped the TV.

"Horror, Thriller or Reality shows?" he looked to me from scrolling through his phone.