Chapter 28

When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.”⭐
__

Last night, I met Lisa and her colleagues at a bar for a drink. I don't know them very well.

I love girls nights. In truth, we do have a good laugh together...

Lydia obviously gossiped and it was all as far-fetched as usual but, when you don't take it literally, it can be kinda funny.

Lisa and I gave each other knowing looks as she babbled ä.

As I check my e-mails, the phone rings.

Lexi: "Mr. Carter's assistant, may I help you...?"

Water company: "Miss Mitchell it's Paul from the water and sanitation company in Congo."

Lexi: "Yes, Paul, hello. How's the construction work going?"

Water company: "Well... It's on fire..."

Lexi: "What do you mean?"

Water company: "It's crazy... I don't understand..."

Lexi: "What's going on Paul?"

Water company: "The plant was sabotaged during the night..."

What?!

Lexi: "Sabotaged?!"

Water company: "Yes... We're going to have to start some of it over... The equipment was badly damaged in places, we'll need a new shipment..."

Oh no...

Lexi: "How much of it, exactly?"

Water company: "I'll make a complete estimate but, unfortunately, it looks like it'll take several months to get everything back on track..."

But who could possibly want to sabotage the plant?!

I prefer not to add anything unnecessarily. If he knew what happened exactly, he'd tell me. What we need now is to find a solution.

Lexi: "I'll see what we can do on our side to speed things up."

Carter is going to go mad. He'd invested himself personally on this project...

Water company: "As soon as I know more, I'll call you."

Lexi: "I'll inform Mr. Carter as soon as possible and let you know!"

Water company: "Thank you, Miss Mitchell. We're going to start clearing up and see what can be salvaged..."

The poor guy is completely horrified.

Lexi: "Don't worry, we'll find a solution."

Water company: "Yes..."

As I hang up, I'm overcome with anger. It's crazy! There's always some idiot to spoil everything!

How to break it to Carter...?

I decide to give him a rundown on the situation by e-mail. There is little chance that I'll reach him by phone. I know he has meetings all day.

How unlucky! I don't know how to put things... I decide to stay as factual as possible.

Lexi: "Mr. Carter, I had a call from the water and sanitation company today. The plant was sabotaged during the night and was quite severely damaged. They have to estimate the work to be redone and we will probably have to send a freighter with new equipment and material, it will take several months before we're back on schedule. Please let me know as soon as you get this message."