Chapter 22

"Never stop being a good person because of bad people."⭐
__

As we arrive at the hotel, the porter takes us to the suite.

The room is huge! It's divided into several zones. A spacious living room, a desk and there's even a meeting table.

At the back, a very wide bay window, overlooking Houston, floods the room with light.

Mister Carter: "Make yourself comfortable."

Carter points to the sofa.

I sit on the comfortable sofa and I start getting my notes out for the interview. I admit that the more the hour approaches, the more I feel stressed out.

Mister Carter: “I have to leave for my appointment. We'll meet later for lunch.“

I nod as he leaves the room.

Jake walks toward me holding his phone in his hand.

Jake: "I'll give you my number. If you need to, call me."

Lexi: "Okay, thank you."

I note Jake's number in my contacts.

After a few seconds, he gently puts his large hand on my shoulder.

Jake: "You'll be fine, miss."

I smile at him. He's nice, even if I'd have preferred that the encouragement came from my boss who kinda just abandoned me on a hostile ground...

He turns around and leaves the room, closing the door behind him.

I sigh softly... Ok... It's up to me now!

It's out of the question that I read through my notes again. I know my stuff!

Plus, it's not as if I was taking my final oral exam!

Suddenly, someone knocks on the door.

The bellboy is, with a woman of about fifty, who has a casual, but chic look.

Bellboy: "Your appointment, miss."

Lexi: "Oh yes, thank you!"

I open the door more, inviting the journalist in. I feel relieved, I was afraid it was going to be an old economist who would have been more than happy to eat me alive.

The journalist shakes my hand.

Journalist: "Hello, I'm Stella Young from Famous People magazine."

I shake her hand smiling but feeling a little taken back. A people magazine...?

Lexi: "Pleased to meet you, I am Lexi Mitchell, Mr. Carter's personal assistant at Carter Corporation."

I hide my confusion. Carter didn't tell me that the interview was for this kind of paper...

Lexi: "Should we get started right away?"

Journalist: "Yes, absolutely."

She glances around the room.

Journalist: "We could go to the living room, it would be more convivial."

I nod in agreement and sit on the seat opposite her.

She takes out a notepad and pen. She arranges a lock of hair, with a perfectly manicured hand.

Journalist: "Okay! Could you start by introducing yourself, Miss...?"

Lexi: "Uh yes... my name is Lexi and I work for Mr. Carter."

Journalist: "What is your role in the company?"