pt. 5

el's pov:

"we should probably go to bed in like 10 minutes." will told us. "yeah," lucas responded while looking over at max. "max are you still cold?" he asked her. "i-im a bit warmer.." she responded while still shaking. i was not sure if she was warmer because our cabin was warm, the blanket, or from me hugging her, but just incase it was from the hug, i squeezed her tighter. around half an hour ago when i first wrapped my arms around her waist, something weird happened. it's almost like my stomach started to do flips and flops, and my heart started to beat faster. by now i had been giving her a hug from behind for almost 30 minutes, and the feeling still has not gone away.

suddenly a knock on the door scared all of us. will stood up and answered the door, and there stood was one of the counselors with a flash light. "hey, you guys need to head to bed, okay?" he told us. will nodded. "okay, have a good night." the counselor told us as he walked away. will shut the door and turned back around to us. "c'mon i'm tired let's go to sleep." he told us. "same here." lucas said. will stepped over everybody to get to the bed, and the rest of the boys lied down. "el?" i heard max ask. "yeah?" i asked her. "are you going to let go of me or?" she asked kinda confused. "oh- oh yeah sorry.." i replied in a sad tone while letting go of her.

"it's okay, i'm just t-tired." she told me as we stood up. "yeah it's fine.." i told her as we walked towards my bed. since i let go of max, that weird feeling i had was now gone, and replaced with a sad one. i got into my bed and got underneath the blankets, as max layed down on top of them. "you can come underneath the blankets y'know?" i told her. "oh right sorry.." she said while going underneath the blankets. "no need to apologize." i told her. she slightly smiled as she layed down. i reached over and turned off the lamp that was lighting up the room.

"goodnight!" i told everyone. "goodnight." all the boys said. i looked over at max, and realized she was already asleep. i slightly smiled as i stared at the sleeping ginger girl. i quickly looked away once i realized if she ever found out i was watching her sleep, she would be creeped out.

i couldn't help but look at her one more time before i dozed off, and realized she looked cold still. without thinking i got closer to her, and cuddled up to her in an attempt to make her warm again. i mean.. friends do that.. right?

plus it's not like i'm doing anything bad, i'm just trying to warm her up with my body heat if that makes sense.

i could feel max's warm breath against my face, and the feeling came back once again. i shut my eyes and eventually dozed off to sleep.

~

i woke up to hear what sounded like laughing. i opened my eyes and looked around the room to see will, dustin, and lucas laughing their heads off, while mike looked mad. "w-what is it?" i asked in a sleeping voice. instead of them answering, they just kept laughing.

i looked over beside me, and realized that max was no longer there. i got slightly worried, as i looked around but still didn't see her, and then i soon realized where she was.

my heart sank as i realized that max was not beside me, but i was laying on top of her, with her arms wrapped around my waist. i quickly got off of her without trying to wake her up, but she woke up anyways. "el?" she asked in a sleepy voice. "oh hey max." i replied in a nervous tone. "are you okay?" she asked me while sitting up. i quickly nodded.

"can we FINALLY go eat now!?" mike asked in an annoyed tone. "yeah, now we can go." dustin said as me and max got out of bed. "shit you guys weren't waiting for me to get up we're you?" max asked as we walked out of the cabin. "yeah, but it was fine." dustin told her. "it was pretty funny seeing el's face once she realized that she was-" "lucas shut up!" i snapped. "realized what?" max asked in a confused tone.

"that you two were cuddling." lucas answered while starting to laugh again. max looked over at me and her face was bright red, as with mine.

we both quickly looked away as mike started to speak. "it was not even funny, i was starving the whole time." he told everyone as we walked inside the foods room. "well we're eating now so it does not even matter anymore." dustin told him. we all walked over to the counter to get some breakfast, then to a table and sat down with all our food. "what should we do today?" will asked. "no clue." i said. "what about we go to one of the camp games tonight?" dustin suggested. "yeah that sounds good, we've only been to a few." lucas said. "i don't think i've been to any." max told us. "you have not even been to one? you've skipped them ALL?" i asked her feeling surprised.

"yep basically." she answered. "okay then you are so coming with us!" i told her. "alright that sounds fun!" max agreed. "well what should we do for now?" will asked. "we could go to the lake again?" mike suggested. i looked over at max with a concerned face. "i don't know.. i don't want max to catch a chill again." i told them. "oh come on el! just come with us!" mike told me. i sighed but then agreed. "let's go now!" lucas suggested. "yeah alright." will and mike said at the same time.

~

"are you gonna swim?" i asked max as all the boys jumped into the lake. "i don't know.. i'm kinda cold still from last night.." she told me while sniffling. "are you okay?" i asked her. "yeah i just have a runny nose." she told me.

for whatever reason, as soon as she said that i became really worried.

"what? any other symptoms?" i asked her. "uhm, i'm cold, i have a runny nose, and my throat hurts?" she told me. "okay, we're gonna go back to the cabin okay?" i told her. "no it's okay, i don't wanna ruin your fun." max said. "no! i don't want you to be sick and alone!" i told her. "GUYS ME AND MAX ARE GOING BACK TO THE CABIN!" i yelled at the boys. will have a thumbs up and i turned back and looked at max. "c'mon, let's go." i told her.

~

"do you have any other symptoms?" i asked her as we walked into our cabin. "n-no i think i'm okay.." max said while forcing a smile. "yeah," i said while grabbing a blanket. "but i don't belive you." i continued while putting the blanket over her. max smiled for real this time, as she sat down on her bed. i sat down next to her and grabbed her hands. "your hands are warm," i told her while letting go of her hands and touching her forehead. "same with your head, i think you have a fever." i told her.

"anything else wrong with me dr. el?" max asked as a joke. "i'm not joking! are you sure you're okay?" i asked her. "yea don't worry! i am okay!" she reassured me. "i'm still taking you to the nurse." i told her as i grabbed her hands and made her stand up. "finee." she said in a mix of a joking and annoyed tone.