Chapter 22: The Article

Overall it was pretty great, I very much enjoyed dancing with Luna, and being this close to her. I took a few glances around at the other people dancing; Neville and Ginny were dancing nearby — he could see Ginny wincing frequently as Neville trod on her feet — and Dumbledore was waltzing with Madame Maxime.

He was so dwarfed by her that the top of his pointed hat barely tickled her chin; however, she moved very gracefully for a woman so large. Mad-Eye Moody was doing an extremely ungainly two-step with Sinistra, who was nervously avoiding his wooden leg.

Sadly I heard the final, quavering note from the bagpipe, and as The Weird Sisters stopped playing, applause filled the hall once more, and slightly reluctantly I let go of Luna.

It wasn't long until The Weird Sisters struck up a new song, which was much faster, and more people rushed onto the dance floor.

"I like this song!" Luna said excitedly, throwing her arms above her head wildly. It was clear Luna was oblivious to how chaotic her dancing was, yet it brought a large smile to my face, as I joined in with her.

Across the hall I could see Edgar, smiling as he walked out onto the dance floor, and with a quick twirl, and a loud gasp from the people around him, he was engulfed in flames. When he had stopped spinning I could see that his jet black robes were replaced with a pair of strange orange and red ones, that seemed to shimmer and flow in the light as though they were still on fire.

Show off

"I dunno kind of like them." I muttered.

I heard Moody scoff next to me, and I saw that he too was watching Edgar dance. "Always trying to be the centre of attention."

I could see now, as the crowd moved from around Edgar, that he was dancing with the bar maiden from the Hog's Head, Elizabeth.

The rest of the night went by in a flash, with lots of dancing and laughing with Luna. I watched Edgar as he moved around the room, dancing with almost all of the teachers, even picking Flitwick off of his feet and spinning him around in the air.

Eventually even I got tired and as Luna went to examine the ice sculpture I spotted Harry, Ron and Hermione, slumping down into a seat next to them.

"Viktor's just gone to get some drinks." Hermione said, with a small wave to me.

Ron gave her a withering look. "Viktor?" he said. "Hasn't he asked you to call him Vicky yet?"

Hermione looked at him in surprise. "What's up with you?" she said.

"If you don't know," said Ron scathingly, "I'm not going to tell you."

"And you wonder why you had such trouble getting a date." I sneered at Ron.

"Ron, what — ?"

"He's from Durmstrang!" spat Ron. "He's competing against Harry! Against Hogwarts! You — you're —" Ron was obviously casting around for words strong enough to describe Hermione's crime, "fraternizing with the enemy, that's what you're doing!"

Hermione's mouth fell open.

"Don't be so stupid!" she said after a moment. "The enemy! Honestly — who was the one who was all excited when they saw him arrive? Who was the one who wanted his autograph? Who's got a model of him up in their dormitory?"

Ron chose to ignore this. "I s'pose he asked you to come with him while you were both in the library?"

Where else would it be, the mudblood doesn't exactly leave there

"Yes, he did," said Hermione, the pink patches on her cheeks glowing more brightly. "So what?"

"What happened — trying to get him to join spew, were you?"