Chapter 1

Chapter 1

His heart raced as he got closer to his kill. The scent of the deer filled his nostrils, he didn't know what the animal was called, but his wolf knew it was food. The deer was close in front of him, he jumped over a log and pounced. His claws caught the deer, and the sudden weight brought the deer down. He had only seconds before the deer would get back up and fight him. He quickly jumped around to the animal's neck and bit down, he shook his head violently, snapping its neck. He stepped back looking down at his kill, he raised his head, unleashing a howl for his victory.

He grabbed the deer and started to drag it back to his den, where he has lived in for many years. He couldn't speak a word of English, but why would he need it? He didn't talk to anyone, he was all alone...alone for so long. He couldn't remember the first time he saw the apple tree that had supplied him with food for the first few years of his life, but he knew it was home. The apple tree would still give him food, but he could hunt now, he was efficient at it too.

As soon as he was home he started to eat, still in his wolf form. He had learned from a young age that he couldn't eat what he hunted unless he was in his wolf form. Only food that he picked or was soft, could he eat in his human form.

The young pup's den was perfect; it could support him when he was tired; give him shelter when bigger predators were around; give him a place to sleep and rest in; there was a pond close enough that he could walk to it human form and if he was in danger still manage to run back to his tree and hide.

With his stomach full he changed back into his human form. The only thing that he has ever owned was a pair of pants, that could stretch with his body into his wolf form. They were torn, but they allowed him to stay warm. The forest was coated in snow for three months out of the year anyways, but he didn't need to wear them. However, for some odd reason he felt he had to wear them, the compulsion was always there to cover himself up in anyway, but he never knew where it was from.

He yawned and went into his small den, he curled up on a little space where he had put fur, feathers, grass, and leaves, to make a bed for himself. He used a deer hide for a blanket, he was soon asleep.

In the morning he woke with a smile, he didn't know why he was happy, but he just was. He crawled out of his den and stretched. He climbed his tree and grabbed and an apple, he took a bite and scanned the area for his supper tonight. He couldn't see anything from where he was so he decided after he finished the apple, he would go and sniff around. A twig snapped from close by. He froze and looked around, checking for any animals.

He took one last bite of the apple and tossed it away in the opposite direction of the noise. He jumped down and turned into his white wolf. He slowly made his way over to the noise. As he got close he could hear some noise, he couldn't tell what it was from. To him it sounded like animals talking to each other in some weird way. He crept closer to the noise, he crawled on his belly and poked his muzzle out of a bush and saw three wolves. Two were the size of bears, the second was a normal wolf size. He started to back away knowing that he couldn't win and his tree was the safest place at the moment. He twig snapped under his back foot.

The three wolves looked in his direction and started to sniff. He quickly sprang up and ran from them. He could hear their footfalls as they started to run after him. He got to his tree just as the three wolves caught up to him. He started to growl as he backed up against his tree. His fur started to raise on its end, his den was behind him, but it wasn't safe with three big wolves there. The same sound started to come from them again, he couldn't make it out at all. A shift came from the wolves, they turned into humans. He stared in disbelief.

He slowly turned into his human form, they were all bigger then him. It was two males and a female. The smaller one was a male, one of the bigger ones were a male, and a female. Their mouths started to move, but he couldn't make out any of it, he tilted his head to the side in confusion. They started to talk amongst themselves, he slowly started to move around his tree, trying not to draw attention. As soon as the tree was between them, he turned back to a wolf and bolted away from them.