How Long Until He Notices? (Darby Allin)

Theme: December 20 (Decorating)
Fandom/Character: Darby Allin
Warnings: Cute and Fluffy, some cussing
Word Count: 687

❄ I don’t own any of the GIFs or Photos in this.
❄ This is the sequel to last year's fic Cookie Thief.

Sam ~ Darby

Danyelle’s POV: Sitting on the couch, I watched as Sam put the ornaments on our Christmas tree as I handed them to him

Danyelle’s POV:
Sitting on the couch, I watched as Sam put the ornaments on our Christmas tree as I handed them to him. With being sick, I hadn’t got to do a whole lot of baking this year. I had wanted to help decorate the tree, but Sam had made a compromise with me that if I stayed on the couch, I could put any ornaments on the tree. I know he’d rather be doing anything but decorating, but I agreed with him and came up with a plan to surprise him with. So I ordered all the ornaments I wanted and included some special ones. Sam wasn’t really paying much attention to the ornaments, just placing them where I wanted them. I had started with several I knew he’d like, then I started in on the Nightmare Before Christmas sets that I got.

Sam looked at the 5th Jack and Sally that I handed him and looked back at me. “I know you like Jack and Sally, but damn, how many of them did you buy?” he chuckled.

“There’s just a few more. Though I may have a few more coming in the mail in a couple of days.” I answered him.

He shook his head at me and hung up the ornament. When those were all up, I started pulling out the ones that I had specially made. Sam, not paying any attention, just hung them up with no question. Shaking my head at him, I suppressed the urge to laugh at him. Continuing to hand them to him, I finally got to the last one and had him hang it in the middle of the tree. Plugging in the lights, Sam sat on the couch and pulled me into his arms. “It looks perfect, babe. I’m gonna head outside and skate some before dinner. Don’t do too much. I don’t want you getting sick again.” Sam kissed my head, getting up and heading outside. I sat there shocked that he didn’t realize what that last ornament was. Getting up from the couch, I got the extra garland and lights and headed for the staircase to wrap them around the banister.

Darby’s POV:
I had been skating for nearly half an hour when I suddenly stopped. I dropped my board and ran inside, not stopping until I was right in front of the  Christmas tree. I searched for the last ornament I put on and when I found it, my jaw dropped. Right where I put it was an ornament of a sonogram that said “Baby Ratsch 2023”.

I looked around at all the ornaments and I finally noticed all the baby related ones

I looked around at all the ornaments and I finally noticed all the baby related ones. There was a skateboard that said “Daddy”, an I 💗 Coffin Drops onesie ornament, and several more that I hadn’t noticed when I was putting them on the tree. I stood at the tree still in shock, just looking at it. Shaking my head, it explained why Danyelle had been sick. Not paying attention, I didn’t realize Danyelle was in the room until she wrapped her arms around me and spoke.

“I see you finally noticed your surprise. It took you long enough. How are you feeling?”

Coming out of my shock, I wrapped my arms around her and I tilted her head up, kissing her. Pulling away, I smiled down at her. “Sorry I wasn’t paying attention. I’m doing good. I never expected or even wanted to be a dad, but when I met you a lot of things changed for me. I’m actually excited to be a dad. Though I should be asking how you’re doing.”

“I’m excited for the baby. The morning sickness is a bitch, but nothing I can handle. Though it sucks, because the smell of pizza makes me sick. And think of this, we get to decorate a baby’s room, I just ask no black walls.”

I chuckled and agreed. Pulling Danyelle in front of and wrapping my arms around her, I couldn’t help but think of what the future held for us. Especially with the present I had for her to open on Christmas.