Ⅴ: The Austere Academy-edited

For Beatrice-
You will always be in my heart, in my mind,
and in your grave.

The children waited and waited for what seemed like centuries. The only thing keeping them from falling asleep was the violin being played from the Administrator's Office. "We have been sitting here for so long, Sunny has started looking like a toddler and less like an infant," Ana said as she picked her head off Klaus' shoulder. 

Soon after a red-headed girl, with a bright pink fluffy dress, pom poms, and tap shoes came by. "Hello, cake-sniffers." "Hello, um.." "U-u-um..what are you a blithering idiot? Everyone knows I'm Carmelita Spats." The girl said as she mocked Ana. "Well, I'm Anastasia O'Malley. And these are the Baudelaires, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny." 

"I'm supposed to give you a tour. This is Vice Principal Nero's office. He's a genius. He likes me best. I don't have to wear a uniform, cause I'm so adorable." She continues to walk with the orphans not far behind. "This girl is the definition of a migraine," Ana said as she groaned, but Klaus had noticed the girl and held her hand to provide comfort.

They arrived at the outdoor field where Klaus had noticed a sign with the school's motto. "Memento Mori." "What does that mean?" Violet asked as she looked at her brother. "Remember, you will die," Klaus answered. 

Back in the halls of the school Carmelita mentioned that she has no idea what the library is and only cake-sniffers would know of such things, which was directed to Klaus and Ana. Right as the walk passed, a woman carrying a large stack of books was when she noticed the orphans. She introduced herself as Ms. Caliban, the librarian. She told them to visit anytime, before placing the books on her head and walking into the library. 

"Welp we're back at Vice Principal Nero's Office, which you were supposed to be ten minutes ago, so now you're late. Ahem?" "Thank you?" Klaus asked. "Thank you isn't enough. You owe me a tip!" "A tip?!" Ana asked. "Yes, are you deaf and blind, cake-sniffer?!" The girl had banged her heel on the door to alert Vice Principal Nero. A man appeared with a suit and bow tie, a receding hairline, and clutching onto a violin. "Sir, it's the Baudelaires and O'Malley. They're late for their appointment." Carmelita said in the sweetest voice. She then tapped away as Principle Nero only praised the girl. 

The orphans then walked in where the man told them about all the different great things at the school, which they wouldn't have access to, because they are orphans. "You wouldn't be able to blame all your weaknesses on this Count Olaf man, because of this." He pulled a tarp off a bulky figure to reveal a computer and cameras, which Vice Principal Nero, calls it an 'Advanced Computer System'.

The orphans had arrived to where they would be staying at their time at Prufrock, which was a small tin shack. Ana looked down and shrieked. "Crabs!" The girl pointed out. "Our shack has crabs." They leaped over the crabs, to what looks like their bed, which was really a bed of hay. They then noticed that on the ceiling of the shack had dripping fungus. Ana had placed the photo of their parents on the wall and sighed.

The next morning, the orphans had their first classes. Violet has Mr. Remora for language arts. Klaus and Ana have Ms. Bass for math. And Sunny, working as an assistant to Nero. In all instances the orphans understood that this school wouldn't give them much education.
The orphans met up after their activities for lunch. "How was your day?" Klaus asked his sister. "I heard nothing but pointless stories. How was yours, Klaus?"  "I spent the morning writing down meaningless measurements. The only thing that brought me joy was the notes me and Ana passed to one another." The boy said as he held the girl close. Violet looked over and could see the young O'Malley as bright as a tomato. "U-uh how was work, Sunny?" Ana asked in order to change the subject.