Chapter 16 : Kitsune

After what happened in the previous islands, Hongjoong didn't allow his crew to step a foot in any other island until they reach Rieto Haven, and after a week, they finally arrived at Rieto, they settled on the north beach of the island.

"everyone, gather around" Mingi ordered following his captain's words, the crew is now gathered at the main deck sitting on it "we managed to hide the ship from the eyes of the citizens, so we all will go to the island and investigate about the festival" Hongjoong told them "we need to know how many soldiers are there and where their positions are and what they armed with" he told them "we'll split into three teams and meet up at the hotel at night of each day, understand?" He asked "Aye Captain!" They shouted in sync and he smiled at them.

"our meeting point will be in my and Yunho's room at Akami hotel at 9 pm" Hongjoong said as they departed at the island, the teams were split as Hongjoong, Mingi and San with Byul, Seonghwa, Valerie and Jongho, Wooyoung, Yeosang and Yunho.

They started their investigations, Hongjoong's team took over the dark alleys since he is now wanted, Seonghwa's team took the west side of the city and Yunho's team took the east.

"Why are we investigating about the festival?" Valerie asked Seonghwa "didn't Hongjoong tell you?" He asked her confused "no, I think he forgot since Shadow Tropic" she said sarcastically giving shivers to Seonghwa, he chuckled nervously "you see, according to our calculations, Kitsune will appear at the last day of the festival on this island, and that's after a week" he told her "Kitsune?! Is it that exotic creature Yeosang was talking about?!" She asked them confused "yes it is" Jongho told her "let me explain" said Seonghwa smiling "Kitsune are foxes that possess paranormal abilities that increase as they get older and wiser, and there are 13 different types of it, we are planning to capture the spirit because it has what we want" he said "and what do you want?" She asked playfully "ask Hongjoong when we get back" he said smiling at her making her sulk.

It became dark and the team gathered at Hongjoong's room in the third floor of the hotel "what did you find?" He asked them sitting on a chair at the corner of the room "soldiers are more focused on the middle square, because it is crowded since the first day" Yunho said, he was sitting on his bed "and each shop have one soldier guarding it for the rest of the festival" Seonghwa continued, sitting on Hongjoong's bed "and for the streets?" Hongjoong asked "soldiers will split up in four groups guarding it at night" Mingi answered him, leaning on the wall between the two beds "but it looks like no one is expecting the Kitsune to come out, so we'll be fine" Yeosang assured him, he was sitting next to Yunho "great job everyone, continue like this until the end of the festival" he told them "Aye captain" they responded "you can go" he dismissed them and everyone left except Valerie who is sitting on Hongjoong's.

"Do you want something?" Hongjoong asked her "yeah" she said looking at him "I think, it's the time you tell me what we are doing on this island and what does the Kitsune has that you want so desperately" She said smiling at him and looking at him in the eyes surpriseing Yunho "I'll go see Mingi for a minute" Yunho said excusing himself and left "well," he sighed "I'll tell you if you agree to tell me how this sword ended up in your hands" he said pointing at her sword "I thought I told you how I got it" she said lifting an eyebrow "let me change the question, how did your teacher get that sword?" He asked her staring at her, Valerie didn't say anything, Instead, she stayed quiet for a moment "honestly?" she asked him "yeah" he said "I don't know" she said shrugging her shoulders and closing her eyes, surprising Hongjoong "he didn't tell me much about himself when we lived together, except for how he got on my island" she told him.

"I see" he said sighing "so, will you tell me about the Kitsune?" She asked smiling at him "I'll tell you since you are cooperating with us" he sighed and put his right leg over the other one "I think Seonghwa told you what is the Kitsune, so I'll skip that part" he said "what we want is not the Kitsune, but the yellow diamond it carries on its forehead" he said confusing her "what does it do?" She asked curiously "it activates what we stole from the navy's headquarters" he said getting up and heading towards the cabinet, getting a small box out of it and gave it to her, when she opened it, she found a silver ring in it, but its head is empty with nothing in it "what is this ring for?" She asked holding the ring up to her eyes level "it's one of the five elements, a shape shifting ring" what he said surprised her even more and made her mouth fall agape "are you serious?" She asked not believing him "I am, its diamond is protean, it means shapeshifting in greek, they were so lazy to name it something else" he said sarcastically "I see" she said still gazing at the ring "what do you know about the diamond?" She asked putting the ring back at it place in the box "all we know is that proteus, the god of water is the one who gave this diamond to Kitsune, in exchange of its invisibility" he told her "what kind of god is he?" She asked confused "he is a lazy god who likes to run away from responsibilitys" he scoffed making her chuckle "well, thanks for the explanation" she said "no problem, now go to sleep, you have a long day tomorrow" he told her and she got up, heading towards the door, and when she opened it, the seven men with the cat fell at the ground in front of her, she sighed, passing them and went to her room.