Part 15

© Joanna Bock 2013 All Rights Reserved.

First Draft

CHAPTER 21

Sarah

SARAH wondered if her companions used the silence to centre themselves the way she did. No one had spoken at all though the morning. She wondered if Josh and Katarna thought of each other. She wondered if Quynn used the time to plan their journey. She wondered if Lucas used it to listen to there surroundings. Sarah decided to do the same. She inhaled the sweet fresh scent of the trees as it carried on the gentlest breeze. The sound of birds as they flittered though the trees overhead every once in a while they would sing out before fleeting into the wind. She watched the stream. She noticed it had the same perfectly round stones as the stream in Southwood Falls. The only difference was that the stones in the Greenstone realm were the same jet black but there were also stones that were so alabaster white they almost shone. Sarah made a mental note to ask Quynn why there were no white stones in Southwood Falls or maybe why there were white ones in the Greenstone realm instead. Sarah decided that she would wait until later though not wanting to ruin the tranquil silence.

Katarna

KATARNA bent to pick another of Casander’s blood red truth flowers. She would dare pick the ones that bordered Casander’s home. She knew the closer she got to the castle itself the stronger the flowers hold over those who were to touch them.

It is beautiful here and Katarna felt a connection to her true home the moment they crossed into Juniper. It was the chosen lands to her kind the Elemental witches.

Katarna smiled waiting for Sarah to ask her question. She had sensed her need to ask for a few minutes, but she was as unwilling to break the silence as Sarah was. It had been pleasant at times just walking without the constant need for chatter. She could feel Josh’s tenseness along with the flood of love that radiated between Sarah and Lucas.

Katarna bent to collect another of the truth blooms taking a breath she turned to Sarah and waited. “What are those flowers and why do you only pick those red ones?”

“The one’s I pick are Casander’s truth flowers. They only grow in Casander’s gardens.”

“Alright what are you going to do with them? I mean, I never took you as the type of girl to pick flowers just because they are pretty.” Sarah asked.

“I can be a flower type of girl but your right, not this time. I mainly pick flowers for spells. I take branches from trees for smudge sticks and spells too, leaves, stones really the list can be endless.”

“Can I help?”

Katarna smiled. “I don’t see any reason why you cannot help. I have a warning for you before you do Sarah.” Katarna really couldn’t see any reason to give her the warning but she felt obligated to all the same. “The oils on the stems and petals of these flowers soak into your skin; you will basically be absorbing a truth serum.”

“What. I will physically not be able to lie.” Sarah asked stunned.

“Not one little white lie Sarah.”

Sarah laughed bending to pick one of Casander’s flowers. “I don’t care. I think being truthful is a good thing. I have nothing to hide.”

“Yeah well I choose to be quiet instead.” Katarna cupped a hand to her mouth as her eyes went wide. “Fine I have things I don’t share. Why do you think I am doing this task in silence.”