10. The Duel

Inside Aslan's How, Susan and Lucy climbed up on Caspian's horse. Isabel got on another horse.

"Destier has always served me well," Caspian said. "You are in good hands. As are you, Isabel."

"Or hooves," Lucy joked.

"Good luck."

"Thanks," Susan and Isabel replied.

Caspian pulled out the horn and held it up to Susan. "Maybe it is time you had this back."

Isabel smiled. "Why don't you hold onto it? You might need to call me again. Or, erm, one of us."

The sisters rode off as Caspian watched.

""You might need to call me again"?" Lucy repeated.

"Oh, shut up."

Susan laughed, smiling at her sister who shot her a look.

---

Peter and Edmund walked out of Aslan's How as the Narnians cheered them on.

Miraz said to Glozelle, "If it should appear to be going poorly..."

Glozelle looked at the crossbow in his hands. "Understood, my lord."

Peter drew his sword and stepped forward. Glumpuddle watched in awe.

Miraz stepped forward and they began circling before Miraz said, "There is still time to surrender."

"Well, feel free," Peter shot back.

"How many more must die for the throne?"

"Just one."

Peter pulled down his helmet and jumped at Miraz and the fighting started. Each army cheered for their respective competitor.

FOREST

Susan, Isabel and Lucy rode away. Telmarine soldiers on horseback pursued them.

"They've seen us!" Lucy cried.

Susan and Isabel stopped the horses and climbed off.

"What are you doing?" Lucy asked.

"I'm sorry, Lu," Susan apologised. "It looks like it'll just be you after all."

"Be careful, Lu," Isabel said.

Lucy nodded. "You both as well."

Lucy rode off. She took once last glance at Susan and Isabel, and disappeared. Susan and Isabel turned toward the oncoming Telmarines. Susan put an arrow to the string and took aim while Isabel pulled out her dagger. They took down a few, then were knocked down. A Telmarine was about to kill Isabel when Caspian came out of nowhere, killed the Telmarine, and held out his hand to Isabel.

"Are you sure you won't be needing that horn?" Caspian questioned.

Isabel climbed on, as did Susan, and they rode off.

BATTLEFIELD

The fight continued, and Peter hit Miraz in the back. In turn, he knocked off Peter's helmet and his coif. Peter swung low and cut Miraz's leg. He glanced at Glozelle, who was still holding the crossbow. Miraz swung, but Peter quickly recovered. He tripped Peter and stepped on his shield causing him to yell. Bulgy Bear gasped. Miraz swung again, but Peter rolled out of the way and kept doing so. Peter stopped rolling and Miraz tripped. They both got up and were breathing heavily. Peter looked over Miraz's shoulder and saw Caspian, Isabel and Susan riding up.

"Does his highness need a respite?" Miraz asked in a mocking tone.

"Five minutes?" Peter requested.

"Three."