06. Murals of Old

Glozelle showed Miraz an empty wagon.

"How much did they take?" Miraz asked.

"Enough weapons for three regiments," Glozelle replied. "And that is not all." He lowered the door of the wagon.

Miraz read the carving. ""You were right to fear the woods.""

""X"?" Sopespian questioned.

"Caspian... the tenth."

"I had my orders, my lord," Glozelle said. "The blame is mine."

"I know. ... Tell me, how many men were killed?"

"None, sir."

"None?"

"They came like ghosts in the dead of night."

"Then how do you explain your injuries?" Glozelle looked confused and Miraz hit him across the face. "I asked, how many men were killed in this bloody Narnia attack, of which you were the fortunate survivor?" He held out a sword. "General... how many?"

Glozelle, with a bloody lip, hesitated and looked back and his soldiers before taking hold of the sword and saying, "Three."

Miraz walked away and turned to Sopespian. "My apologies, Lord Sopespian. Caspian is not the victim of this savage uprising. He is the instigator." He climbed onto his horse. "It seems Narnia is in need of a new king." He rode away.

ASLAN'S HOW

The group continued trudging through the forest. Peter and Caspian were leading. Trufflehunter, Trumpkin and Nikabrik were talking behind them.

Trufflehunter said to Trumpkin, "So, what are they like?"

"Complainers... Stubborn as mules in the morning," Trumpkin commented.

"So you like 'em?" Nikabrik asked.

"Well enough."

The group reached Aslan's How, and centaurs stood on either side, raising their swords. Caspian stopped and let the kings and queens of old go first. Lucy and Isabel both smiled at a young centaur who was holding his sword too low.

Isabel smiled softly as he lifted the young centaur's arms up. "I can tell you're already a fine defender of your home."

They entered the How to find Narnians making weapons. Caspian glanced at the others. "It may not be what you are used to, but it is defensible."

"Peter, Isabel, you may want to see this," Susan said, catching their attention.

They took a torch and their eyes were drawn to the carvings on the walls, showing us. "It's us," Susan said.

Lucy turned to Caspian. "What is this place?"

Caspian seemed shocked. "You don't know?"

He grabbed a torch and led them down a dark tunnel. He lit a fire at the end of the room and it spread around, revealing wall carvings of Narnians and Aslan, as well as the cracked Stone Table.

Lucy looked back at the carving of Aslan, then glanced to Susan and Isabel. "He must know what he's doing."

Peter said to them, "I think it's up to us now."

Isabel pursed her lips. "We need to have faith, Peter."

"Where has faith gotten us?"

"Quite far if you only look."

Everyone turned to look at the carving of Aslan.

They walked back to the Narnians who were waiting at the Stone Table. After word that a Telmarine soldier has been seen in the forest, Peter spoke to them of battle plans. "It's only a matter of time. Miraz' men and war machines are on their way. That means those same men aren't protecting his castle."

"What do you propose we do, sire?" Reepicheep asked.

"We-" Caspian began.

"Our-" Peter said, giving Caspian a look.

Peter continued. "Our only hope is to strike them before they strike us."

Caspian frowned. "But that's crazy, no one has ever take that castle."

Trumpkin nodded. "We'll have the element of surprise."

"But we have the advantage here," Caspian stated.

"If we dig in, we could probably hold them off indefinitely," Susan added.

Trufflehunter stated, "I, for one, feel safer underground."

Peter turned to Caspian. "Look, I appreciate what you've done, but this isn't a fortress, it's a tomb."

Edmund added his input. "Yes, and if the Telmarines are smart, they'll just starve us out."

"We could collect nuts!" Pattertwig cried excitedly.

"Oh, yes, and throw them at the Telmarines! Shut up!" Reepicheep cried, turning back to Peter. "I think you know where I stand on this, sire."

Peter said to Glenstorm, "If I get your troops in, can you handle the guards?"

"Or die trying, my liege," Glenstorm answered, giving each of them a small bow of his head.

"That's what Isabel and I are worried about," Lucy said.

"Sorry?" Peter questioned, looking at his sister.

"Well you're acting like there are only two options: Dying here, or dying there."

Peter shook his head. "I'm not sure you've really been listening, Lu."

"No, you're not listening. Or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch, Peter?"

"I think we've waited for Aslan long enough."

Isabel met Peter's eyes. "Aslan always shows up in his own time. Who's to say he won't show up when he feels the time is right now?"

"If he hasn't shown up now, who's to say he will?"

"Your faith is waning, Peter, and that is a dangerous thing."