09. The Challenge

Caspian sat outside Aslan's How and Cornelius joined him.

"Why did you never tell me about my father?" Caspian asked.

"My mother was a black dwarf from the northern mountains," Cornelius replied. "I risked my life all these years so that one day you might be a better king than those before you."

"Then I have failed you."

"Everything I told you, everything I didn't... It was only because I believe in you. You have a chance to become the most noble contradiction in history: The Telmarine who saved Narnia."

Peter sat in front of the Stone Table and stared at the carving of Aslan. Lucy and Isabel walked up and sat on either side of him. After a moment, he said, "You're lucky, you know."

"What do you mean?" Lucy asked.

"To have seen him," Peter clarified. "I wish he'd just give me some kind of proof."

Lucy smiled. "Maybe we're the ones who need to prove ourselves to him."

Isabel nodded. "All you need is a little faith, Peter. A little can stretch farther than you could ever know."

Edmund ran up and said, "Pete, Isabel, you'd better come quickly."

They followed him outside and saw the Telmarine army approaching. Miraz was in full armour, riding in the front. They went back into the Stone Table room to make plans.

Trumpkin, who was less than thrilled, said, "Cakes and kettledrums! That's your next big plan? Sending a little girl alone into the darkest parts of the forest alone?"

"It's our only chance," Peter replied.

"And she won't be alone," Susan and Isabel added.

Trumpkin frowned. "Haven't enough of us died already?"

Trufflehunter bowed his head slightly. "Nikabrik was my friend too, but he lost hope. Queen Lucy and Queen Isabel haven't. And neither have I."

"For Aslan," Reepicheep stated.

"For Aslan," Bulgy Bear repeated.

Peter looked at the bear and Trumpkin said to Lucy, "I'm going with you."

Lucy shook her head, placing a hand on his shoulder. "No, we need you here."

Peter nodded. "We have to hold them off until Lucy, Isabel and Susan get back."

"If I may..." Caspian began, stepping forward. "Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer. But as king, he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people. There is one in particular that may buy us some time."

MIRAZ' CAMP

Edmund, Glenstorm and Wimbleweather walked across the battlefield carrying green branches. Miraz watched through a telescope.

"Perhaps they intend to surrender," Glozelle guessed.

"No," Miraz replied. "They are much too noble for that."

Wimbleweather and Glenstorm waited outside the tent.

Edmund read the challenge. ""I, Peter, by the gift of Aslan, by election and by conquest, High King of Narnia, Lord of Cair Paravel, and Emperor of the Lone Islands, in order to prevent the abominable effusion of blood, do hereby challenge the usurper Miraz to single combat upon the field of battle. The fight shall be to the death. The reward shall be total surrender.""

As Edmund rolled up the scroll, Miraz said, "Tell me, Prince Edmund-"

"King," Edmund corrected.

"Pardon?"

"It's King Edmund, actually. Just king, though. Peter is the High King. I know, it's confusing."

"Why would we risk such a proposal when our army could wipe you out by nightfall?"

Edmund smirked. "Haven't you already underestimated our numbers? Only a week ago, Narnians were extinct."

"And so you will be again."

"Then you should have little to fear."

Miraz laughed. "This is not a question of bravery."

"So you're bravely refusing to fight a swordsman half your age."

"I didn't say I refused."

One of the Lords said to Miraz, "You shall have our support, your majesty, whatever your decision."

Sopespian said to Miraz, "Sire, our military advantage alone allows us the perfect excuse to avoid-"

Miraz stood and yelled, "I am not avoiding anything!"

Sopespian continued. "I am merely pointing out that my lord is well within his rights to refuse."

Glozelle added his input. "His majesty would never refuse. He relishes the chance to show his people the bravery of their new king."

He pointed his sword at Edmund and said, "You had better hope your brother's sword proves sharper."

Edmund smiled, knowing it all would prove to be quite interesting.