Old Friends Reunite

Maria and Leo have been there for a year now, and they've grown closer. Catching feelings for each other in the process but were too afraid to admit their feelings to each other. Today though, the duo was too busy to worry about their emotions. 

The village near their camp was under attack and being robbed. Once the criminals were headed down the road, they were stopped by a log that Maria put there before hand so the group wouldn't drive away. A man got out of the truck so he could move the log but was snatched away by an unknown figure. Another man got out of the vehicle with his gun, but a vine was lassoed around his waist, and he was hoisted into the treetops. 

The leader and the last henchman got out of the car. "Who are you?! Show yourself!" The leader yelled as the skinnier one shakes with fear. "The Ghosts of the Jungle. They punish people who prey upon the weak. They're coming." 

The man with a gun was dropped in front of them, a large bite was on his forearm. "I just remembered I left the stove on, and my wife she hates that!" The skinny man ran back along the road. "Get back here!" 

"You're on your own, Jose!" 

Jose turned back to the jungle only to get startled by a pair of brown eyes in the bushes before he tried to attack and got deeper into the rainforest. "I'm not afraid of a myth. I'm not afraid of a ghost!" 

Two figures landed in front of the man, one standing, the other in a crouched pose ready to pounce. The one standing was Leo, the one in the crouch was Maria. "What are you?" Leo took out one of his katanas while Maria growled at the man with her hair slightly bristled. 

Jose let out a yell before charging and then the screen panned out after Leo and Maria attacked. The only thing being heard was a jaguar's roar of a battle cry. The truck with all the villagers' belonging was returned to the people, while Leo in his cloak and Maria in her own cloak watched with accomplished smiles before leaving back to their camp. 

"What's with you and biting people?" Maria shrugged as they both took their cloaks off. "I don't know, I usually chalk it up to instinct." Leo rolled his eyes and joked a bit about it. "One day you're gonna eat someone, and I hope it isn't me." 

Maria turned to him with a playful glint and smile. "Oh? What if I develop a taste for turtle and try to eat you?" She unsheathed her claws and placed one under his chin. 

"I don't know, I guess I'd have trouble getting you off me." Maria put away her claws and remembered when they were sparring, she beat him multiple times. It was weird. But the two stopped when they heard a voice above them. 

"Hello?!" Then a scream, Maria held out her arms as Leo stood beside her. A woman with red hair landed in Maria's arms, and Leo smirked recognizing her. 

"It's a long way from the city to just drop in." The woman looked at the turtle and smile seeing her friend. "Leo." Maria put the woman down and smiled knowing the two were old friends. "April, this is Maria. Maria, this is April." 

The two shook hands and soon they were all at the duo's camp. "So, you came all the way down here to look for me?" 

"No, I was originally here on business. But then the local legend started to sound familiar, so I decided to snoop around." Maria stoked the fire as the two spoke. "What kind of business?" 

"Ancient artifacts, some tycoon with too much time on his hands has his heart set on a collection of three-thousand-year-old statues." Leo added some more wood to the fire as he spoke. "Well, you always did run with a strange crowd April." 

Maria let out a breath of a laugh at this. "Yeah, well, our strange crowd hasn't been the same without you." Leo looked shocked at this, but he was distracted when Maria placed the stick she was using in his hand. "Things aren't looking so good back home." 

"Oh, how bad could it be? Donnie's probably got everything under control." April shook her head and told Leo about the job he took up. "But Donnie's a genius, why would he take a job like that?" Maria scratched her neck as she answered before April. 

"Least he's keeping busy." The turtle shook his head. "Well, if he's doing that, who's keeping an eye on Mikey?" April stuttered before answering. "Mike's got into the entertainment business. He's a big hit."

 Leo sighed before asking the million-dollar question. "Alright, let's hear it. What's Raph doing?" April started to explain vaguely about the hotheaded turtle. 

"No one really knows. He just sleeps all day." "What's he do all night?" Maria looked to Leo to see the serious look on his face, it wasn't new to her. April started to try to get to Leo by talking to him more. 

"Your training period ended a year ago, and Splinter says you don't write anymore." Leo argued back. "Splinter sent me down here to become a better leader, I can't go back a failure. Besides, these people need me more than my brothers do." 

Maria knew they needed him, and he needed them, he was just being stubborn. "If Master Splinter was here, he'd ask you what your heart says." 

"I don't know, I just know somethings missing." Leo threw the stick into the fire and got up; Maria watched him closely while April didn't. "Your brothers need you, Leo. They'd be lost without you." But Leo was gone, only Maria knowing where he went. 

"Leo!" Maria got up and stretched before grabbing her backpack. "I'll talk to him. You just get home safe." 

April nodded and thanked the jaguar girl before leaving. Maria raced through the jungle after making sure April made it back to the village ok, and now she's searching for Leo. She soon found him in the same tree that they officially met in; he was sitting against the trunk of the tree. 

Maria landed in front of him, noticing the sorrowful look on his face and the faint tears in his eyes. "You miss them, don't you?" 

The ninja sighed and nodded, trying to keep his composure. Maria pulled him into a hug to which he returned needing the comfort. His face was buried in the crook of her neck, and his tears were free of the dam they were kept in. 

"It's ok to miss them, and I think you need them as much as they need you." She felt him nod and pulled away to wipe his tears. 

Maria made sure to bring everything they needed to go to the city, and they snuck onto a plane headed for New York.