Thank God For Family Friends

Peter was panicking. One moment he was happily holding Y/n's hand, waiting for Bucky to return, and the next he was frantically running through Shield headquarters looking for either one of his parents. He hadn't meant to get distracted, but it was too late for that. He slammed into someone solid and clasped their shirt in his hands on instinct.

"Whoa!" A voice said. "What's going on?"

"My name is Peter Parker," the little boy tearfully recited, completely unable to think of anything else to say other than the words he had been taught that morning. "I need help."

Sam crouched down in front of Peter, gently prying his hands away from his shirt and holding them in his own. "I know who you are, kid. It's alright." He watched as Peter's breathing began to slow and a spark of recognition flashed in his eyes.

"Sam?"

Sam nodded his head. "I've got you Peter, you're safe with me." Peter let go of Sam's hands and threw his arms around the man's neck, clinging to him in search of comfort. The man didn't hesitate for a second to hug him tight. "Where's your parents?"

"I don't know," Peter said in a shaky little voice. "Y/n told me not to go far but I got distracted and then I couldn't see her and Bucky left to go get me a snack and-" His frantic explanation was cut off by a choked sob. "I just want my mom," he cried, tears soaking through the shoulder of Sam's shirt. He stood up, easily lifting Peter with him, and took him into an empty meeting room. He had a feeling that Peter might need somewhere quiet to calm down, and could remember Y/n telling him that the little boy could very easily get overstimulated due to his heightened senses. He walked circles around the room, rubbing Peters back while he did his best to settle down.

"Why don't I text your mom and dad really quick to come get you?" Sam asked quietly once Peter had calmed down enough to be spoken to.

"No!" Peter said quickly, leaning back to look Sam in the eye. "They're gonna be so mad I got lost, I can't see them until I'm ready to take it."

"To take what?" Sam asked, praying that he wouldn't receive the answer he was expecting.

"My punishment." No such luck. Sam's heart just about broke in his chest at the sadness on Peter's face. "It's okay. I deserve it anyways."

"No you don't," Sam said quietly. "You don't deserve to be punished over a mistake. Have Y/n and Bucky done that before?" He didn't think that either of them ever would, but his priority was Peter's safety above all else. He was relieved to see Peter shake his head. "Your mom and dad would never hurt you over a mistake Peter, I promise."

"But what if they do? What if I made them so mad that they don't want me anymore?"

"That won't happen. I know better than anyone how long your mom and dad waited for you. Trust me Peter, right now they're worried sick about you." Peter still looked uncertain, but the tears were stopping and Sam took it as a victory. "How about I tell Steve to meet us here with a special treat, and then I'll tell your mom and dad to meet us at the front desk."

Peter nodded, sniffling and beginning to calm down completely while Sam rocked him back and forth. Before long Steve snuck into the room, and gave Peter a big smile. "Hey kiddo! I brought you something from the vending machine!" He said happily, masking his concern to make Peter feel at ease. His efforts were successful, and Peter gave him a shaky little smile. "Do you want gummy worms or gummy sharks? Maybe both?"

"Both sounds good," Peter said as Sam sat down in a chair. He let Peter stay in his lap, something the little boy was incredibly grateful for. Before long he was happily eating his candy, and Sam took the opportunity to let Y/n and Bucky know that their son was safe and that they would meet her near the front desk soon. She responded immediately, and Sam could tell just how relieved she was even through the phone screen.