Safe People

Peter felt warmth flood through him at Bucky's words. He was their son, not just some child that was living with them. "Hi," he said quietly, working up just enough courage to look up at Sam and Steve. They both had huge smiles on their faces.

"Hey Peter," Steve said happily.

"We've been so excited to meet you!" Sam added, going to grab a box from the couch before sitting down.

"We got you a present! Why don't you guys come sit?" Steve said, walking over to where his partner was sitting.

Bucky and Y/n settled Peter on the couch between them, watching as Sam handed Peter a box to open. The little boy carefully unwrapped it, handing the wrapping paper to Bucky. He opened up the box and beamed as he pulled out a stuffed wolf. The toy was just the right size for Peter to hug and its white fur was incredibly soft.

"A wolf for the wolf pup!" Steve joked.

"Wolf pup?" Peter asked quietly, looking up at Y/n for context.

"Bucky's the White Wolf, remember pumpkin?" She reminded him.

"And you're his son," Sam explained further. "That makes you a wolf pup!"

Peter felt warmth spread through him as he hugged the toy close. "Can I name him?" He asked excitedly.

"Of course!" Steve said happily, overjoyed that Peter liked the toy. He watched as Peter sat up on his knees, whispering in Y/n's ear, then Bucky's, waiting for their nods of reassurance before telling Steve and Sam the name he had chosen.

"His name is Wolfie," he announced confidently, knowing that his parents liked the name just as much as he did.

"That's a great name kiddo," Sam said, smiling at Peter while Steve nodded in agreement. "Now what do you say we eat some dinner before we watch the movie?"

Soon all five of them were settled in, eating pizza and laughing as Steve and Sam regaled Peter with stories of his parents from long before they met. It seemed almost like a competition between the two of them to see who could make Peter laugh harder, and Y/n and Bucky watched as their son began to relax bit by bit. He started off quiet and reserved, only letting out little giggles when something was too funny for him to hold in his laughter. But over time he began to open up, talking happily with Steve and Sam as though he'd always been a part of the family. The bright, sweet, bubbly little boy that Y/n and Bucky had come to love was shining through and there was relief visible on both of their faces.

Even as the stories veered from exciting to embarrassing, they let Sam and Steve continue, willing to sacrifice their reputation for Peter's sake. He was clearly enjoying himself and if it happened to give him a little too much leverage? Well they'd have to cross that bridge when they came to it.

As the movie started, Peter was relieved to be picked up and placed in Bucky's lap by Y/n, who pulled her husband into her own arms. He hadn't been sure if he was allowed to ask for the kind of care he'd been receiving at home, but apparently Sam and Steve didn't mind a bit. In fact, he could see them smiling as they not-so-subtly attempted to hide their happiness at seeing the little family all cuddled up.

Bucky was in heaven. He could feel his wife's arms around him, keeping him close as though she never wanted to be apart from him, and he knew for a fact that she didn't. Peter, his son, was curled up in his lap, little hand clutching his shirt to make sure that he couldn't slip away. He couldn't help but wonder when it would sink in for the little boy that Bucky could never bear to leave him behind. No matter, he'd spend the rest of his life proving it if it would make his child happy. His best friends in the world were on the other side of his wife, cracking stupid jokes about the movie they were watching just to draw a laugh out of Peter. Everything that he never thought he could have was now surrounding him, and all he could do was look around and appreciate it.