Bad Dreams And New Routines

Over the next week Peter could feel himself settling in. Y/n and Bucky seemed to radiate security, they were consistent in both their routines and their affection, and Peter couldn't help himself from indulging. He'd never once had anyone treat him like this before, and it felt too good not to take advantage of. On most weekdays either Y/n or Bucky would pick him up from school. They'd take him home and let him ramble about his day in the car as they listened intently, and once they had arrived he would go into the bathroom to change into his play clothes and wash his face. Every time, without fail, he'd come out to find a snack waiting for him and then he'd get help with his homework. The routine was caring and secure, making Peter feel much more looked after than he ever had before. But the best part, oh the very best part was the moment that his other parent would come home. They always arrived just before dinner would be ready, and they would always scoop Peter up as he ran to them. He'd be cuddled close and told how much they missed him that day, it was like nothing he'd ever experienced. And at the end of every day he'd be tucked  into bed by both Bucky and Y/n, one on each side making sure that Peter was warm, comfortable, and had Dolly securely tucked into his arms. He'd drift off to sleep knowing that for the first time he was loved, wanted, and above all else he was safe.

Of course for Peter all good things always eventually came to an end. The other shoe always dropped and he'd end up right back where he started, abused and alone, fighting to survive. Why would this be any different? He tried to change his own mind, to tell himself that Y/n and Bucky wouldn't hurt him like that. They were good people, they were gentle and loving, not like the others. But there was this constant reminder in his head that they might change their minds. They might realize that he wasn't worth this kindness, he might mess up so bad that they hurt him. But at least for now, he tried to tell himself, they were kind.

And so Peter settled. He let Y/n and Bucky look after him and trusted them to protect him from harm. The downside to this, that he never saw coming, was that his mind finally felt safe enough to start processing everything he'd been through.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?"

Peter froze, heart beating far faster than it should be as he stood in the kitchen. He was starving and had snuck out of bed in an attempt to find something, anything, to eat. "I'm sorry," he said quickly. "I won't do it again, I was just so hungry."

"You had three meals today didn't you?" The voice said angrily.

"Two," Peter said in a shaky voice, immediately regretting it when the man's face twisted in fury.

"You ungrateful little freak! You're lucky we feed you at all!" He raised his hand and Peter flinched, bracing himself for the hit. "Look at you, you can't even take your punishment like a man!"

"Please," Peter pleaded, even though he knew it was useless. "Please don't hurt me. I'll be good, I promise! I'll be good, you don't have to hurt me!"

"You had your chance. Whatever the hell that spider did to you removed everything good in you." The man smiled, an awful sneer taking over his expression. "Don't worry freak, you'll heal quick."

Peter jolted awake as his foster father's fist came swinging towards him. There were tears on his face, and he just sat there for a moment trying and failing to calm down. There was fear invading every one of his senses and he found himself longing for comfort. He grabbed his lamb, clinging to the toy like a lifeline as he began to sob. He hadn't felt this helpless or frightened in a very long time, he couldn't ever let himself.

His door swung open and he looked up to see Y/n, who had been awoken only moments earlier by Jarvis, standing in the doorway. But in his panicked state he couldn't process that it was her. All he could see was a person coming towards him and all of a sudden it felt like he was back there. Back where the only constants were fear and pain. He scrambled backwards as far as he could go, until his back hit the headboard and he let out a fearful sob.