Uncle Iroh pt. 1

Toph woke up early, feeling an extra warmth surround her that she wasn't used to. She opened her eyes and saw that she was still snuggled next to Sparky.

Last night, after Sparky had said he loved her, Toph can proudly say that she balled her eyes out. She hugged him and cried as he told her everything, why he was banished, how his father burned him, and the pain he felt when his mother disappeared because of him. It was painfully honest from him, and she was both grateful and saddened that he trusted her enough to tell her everything.

She had told him that he didn't need to tell her what happened to him, and she wouldn't mind waiting. He told her that he didn't want to keep secrets from his sister anymore. She balled into his shirt again after that.

She could never explain the relief and joy she felt when she heard his heartbeat keep a steady rhythm. She didn't think she could be that happy.

It was weird, her parents had always said it. They had always said they loved her. She had never felt that happy when they said it. Maybe it was the fact that she always had to worry about if that love would disappear.

She always had doubts in her mind when she heard them say it. She always had a growing fear that one day she would hear their hearts speed up and that would be it. They would have grown tired of the fake her just like they grew tired of the real one. 

But now she had Sparky and he loved her. He loved the real her. She didn't have to hide her strength from him. She didn't have to worry about acting properly. She didn't have to worry about that love disappearing. He had said it and he wasn't lying.

She just smiled and held her brother closer to her.

Hehehe. My brother. I have a brother now. I have a family now and I didn't have to lie to get it. I have a brother and he loves me. He sees me as his sister.

She stilled when she heard Sparky move next to her, waiting for him to wake up. But after a few minutes, he still hadn't.

That's weird, why hasn't he woken up? He's usually up at dawn too.

Toph stilled as she heard him groan, What?

Toph immediately got up and placed her hand on Sparky's forehead, pulling it away as it burned her.

What the hell, it's not supposed to be that hot.

She panicked and placed her hand over his chest, trying to see if his heartbeat was feeling erratic. She was terrified when she felt it slowly rising.

Fuck Sparky has a fever. What do I do? I don't know how to take care of a fever. I've never been sick before.

Toph found herself cursing her good immune system. She was pulled out of her thoughts by Sparky's raspy voice, "Water."

Water. I can get water. Sparky drinks water all the time. Maybe it'll make the fever go away.

She ran to their supplies and brought him a canteen of water. A few minutes later she saw Sparky open his eyes and look around dazed.

"Toph?", he asked when he spotted her.

Toph was relieved and slightly worried as she heard his dazed state.

"Sparky, it's me. I got you water so drink up. I need you to tell me how to cure a fever before you pass out again."

He looked at her like she was an extinct species, "I have a fever?"

Toph grit her teeth.

He is burning a hole in the ground. How does he still find a way to try and ignore his health?