Leaving Gaoling pt. 3

"What?" He asked, trying to see if he misheard her.

"Take me with you." She said, confident of her decision.

I can't go back to playing 'helpless'. Besides, after Scruffy's little escapade, mom and dad will step up security again. If I want to leave this place I have to leave now.

She watched as he opened and closed his mouth in what she assumed was confusion. She realized she may have to convince him a little more.

"I want to leave this place. I've never left Gaoling, and my parents aren't gonna change that any time soon. Hell, if I didn't take up the Blind Bandit gig I would have never left the estate."

She felt his heartbeat settle a little, probably contemplating her offer. She could tell he was going to try and change her mind so she cut him off before he could.

"Look at it this way, I'm leaving this place either way and since you're leaving too, I figured I should travel with you. It would be safer for us to travel together, and since you're low on cash, I can help you get around the Earth Kingdom." She added, confident she would wear his resistance down.

He looked at her in apprehension, "What do you mean you can get me around the Earth Kingdom?"

He watched as she smiled and walked over to one of the cabinets by her bedside. She pulled out a green paper with a golden flying boar on it.

"This is the Beifong family crest. I can flash this anywhere in the Earth Kingdom and they'll send all charges to the Beifong household. It might not work in the more isolated villages, but most of the decently sized cities will recognize this crest and give us whatever we want." He looked at it and figured that she wasn't lying. The seal looked official enough.

Should I take her with me? I believe her when she says she's going to leave anyway. I've only ever traveled with Uncle though, I don't know if I'll be able to look after her. Then again, she can take care of herself if she needs to. Once I find Uncle there won't be much to worry about either. Azula is a risk though, if she finds me I don't know how that will play out. She would kill Toph if it came down to it.

He looked at her and figured he should just be honest with the risks involved with traveling with him. The chances of her changing her mind after hearing them were high, but on the slim chance that she decided to travel with him, she could be prepared.

"Toph I'm gonna be honest, I'm a fugitive. It wouldn't be safe at all to travel with me." He said, wondering how she would take the news.

She looked at him curiously, "I know you're a fugitive Scruffy. Your entire demeanor screams noble, and since you're from the Fire Nation I figured the Earth Kingdom must have a bounty on your head."

I don't see what the problem is though. He's already going to be in danger for being a Firebender, what more could a bounty do?

Zuko winced as he realized she misunderstood, "No Toph, I meant I'm a fugitive from the Fire Nation. My sister is hunting me and my uncle right now. If she catches either of us we're going to be shipped off to a Fire Nation prison. If you travel with me she'll do the same thing to you. She might do worse if I'm being honest."

Toph's mouth fell open in shock, "No way, you're wanted in two nations Scruffy. What'd you do? And why is your sister the one hunting you?"

I knew his sister was shitty but that's super shitty. Why is she hunting him, hasn't she already done enough?

He grimaced as he explained how he and his uncle were labeled as traitors for fighting against the Fire Nation at the North Pole. He left out how he was there to capture the Avatar but ended up fighting Zhao instead.

Shitty Zhao, that asshole ruined everything. Still, I met Toph because of him and got my first friend, so I guess he's good for something.

He focused on the conversation and got to the condition he was going to need her to agree to if she traveled with him.

"Look Toph, how I ended up being labeled a traitor isn't that important. I need you to understand that if you travel with me there's a good chance we're going to run into Azula. She's pretty highly ranked in the Fire Nation, that's why she's the one hunting us. She's too strong for either of us to beat right now, so if she finds us, I need you to promise me you'll run. She's been ordered to take me in alive but she doesn't have those orders for you." He looked at her frown as she contemplated his offer.

Tch! He's not lying. I don't wanna just ditch Scruffy though. What kind of friend does that?

She finally spoke up, "If I promise to run if she captures you, can I go with you?"

He frowned, realizing the change in the deal, but he figured it was going to be the best he got out of her.

"Sure." He said, watching as her face lit up and she stuck out her fist.

"You got a deal Scruffy."

He huffed, mouth twitching at her antics. He bumped her fist, "Try not to get me in trouble, I'm already wanted enough as it is." He said jokingly, feeling excited that he had a travel partner that also doubled as a walking coin purse.

"No promises, now we should get going soon. I have to go get my clothes from the other room, these pajamas aren't gonna cut it. Give me like five minutes and I'll be ready to go." She stomped on the ground, opening a tunnel and jumping down it.

A few minutes later she jumped back up, dressed in her usual Blind Bandit attire. She had a small bag for her supplies and looked excited to be leaving.

"So how are we getting out of here? Judging by the heartbeats in the closet we got like five minutes max before one of them wakes up. I could tunnel us out, but I'd have to make it big enough for the both of us. With all of the extra guards, one of the Earthbenders is bound to hear it."

He looked at her and thought of his options. He still had to find another ostrich horse before they leave, and even if the money situation is solved he only packed enough food for one person. He could steal both in town but he wouldn't be able to if they were both being chased.

An idea started to form as he realized his bag was still empty.

"Do you think you could escape unnoticed if it was just you in the tunnel?" He asked, figuring that his plan would fall apart if she couldn't.

She frowned at him, "Yeah I could do it since I'm pretty small. What will you do though?"

He smirked at her, enjoying the idea that was starting to form in his head.

"I'm going to kidnap you." He said with complete seriousness.

Toph looked at him like he lost his mind.

"Sorry, what?" She asked, but a door in the hallway slammed open.

Shit, they're awake.

Zuko must have heard it too because he started stuffing pillows into the bag on his back and moving toward the door.

"There's no time to explain, tunnel yourself out of here and meet me at the edge of town near the southern mountains. There's an ostrich horse there that's tied to a post. Hide there and I'll meet you in an hour or two." He stepped toward the door as the commotion outside increased.

"Alright, be careful Scruffy. You can't travel if you get caught." She said as she opened up the entrance to the tunnel she used earlier.

"I'll be fine." He said with confidence, knowing that he would be able to get away. Maybe not unscathed but at least he'll get away.

She looked at him like she was trying to figure out if he was lying or not but simply nodded and jumped into the tunnel, closing the entrance behind her.

He breathed out a sigh of relief and faced the door to the room. He heard a panicked voice yelling at the guards to find the intruder. He figured that was Toph's father. He pushed the tip of his sword into the bag, holding it in front of him like a hostage. He wondered if this was going to work.

It worked at Pouhai, what could go wrong?