Chapter 19: Setting Ourselves Free

Fleur's POV:

There's been a sense of serenity in the air lately, ever since Fillip got shot. You'd think that after such an incident, all their time would be spent planning war, but instead, Fillip has been taking it slow while healing. especially after last week when he tried to leave. He's been spending even more time with Mia at my and Nina's request.

Nina and I aren't spending each minute together like we used to, but we're slowly growing closer again, and honestly, it's making me feel much better. It seems like my chest feels lighter every time I speak with her, and I appreciate that.

While washing the lunch dishes, I had my back to the maids as they were talking. Suddenly, their talking turned into whispered hushes and then died completely.

"Why did you stop talking?" I turned around to ask when I saw Fillip leaning on the kitchen's entrance and staring deeply into my eyes.

"Come with me." He simply orders me, turns back around, and starts to leave.

"Why does he always do that?" I mutter and understand my breath.

"Do what?" Sarah asked.

"Act mysterious." They all laughed at my answer, and, to our luck, Agnes was walking in.

"What the hell are you all laughing about? And where do you think you're going? Get back to the dishes."

Before I had my chance to answer, Fillip was back in view, doing just that: "She's coming with me."

Agnes shuts up, but not before bidding me goodbye with a death glare that says I will pay for procrastination when I'm back. As if I were the one who asked to leave.

"Where are we going?" I ask him, but obviously, he doesn't answer. Why did I even expect him to

In his stance, there's a bit of pain visible as we go up the velvet-lined stairs. Every few seconds or so, his fingers would twitch towards the golden stair railings as if needing to use them for help, but they never quite made it there. The stubbornness of this man

After reaching the second floor, instead of walking straight forward and down the carpeted corridor and to his office, we actually take the side stairs, the ones that lead to the east side of his house.

We were going to Mia's room.

My heart flutters a bit, and a smile plays between my lips involuntarily; however, I don't show it just yet. in case I was wrong.

But I was not. Fillip knocked on a foreign door, which Leo stood next to, and when he opened the door, it was as if someone had set off a pink bomb in my face.

Everything was pink in here—the bed, the curtains, the wardrobe—even her clothes lacked other colours significantly. Before I could continue taking in her room, Mia jumped between my arms, calling my name loudly in her high-pitched voice, making me do just the same.

"Mia! I quite missed you."

"I missed you more."

"I'm sure you did; I won't even compete with you about the fact," I reply simply as I kiss her cheeks and put her down.

When she sits back down on the plush baby-pink carpet, I notice that her attire isn't entirely pink. Rather, it was my peach-coloured shirt, which she took that day when she was sleeping with me, and white shorts. I couldn't help but smile widely this time.

"Mia wanted you to come and play Monopoly, with us; she said she would refuse to talk to me if I didn't come back with you." Fillip broke the silence, making me laugh loudly now.