Chapter 16: Something To Stay for

Fillip's POV:

She absolutely hates me now; there's no coming back from that. The look on her face, her voice, and most importantly, her eyes, back as they were, dead. It used to bring me comfort that the blue lit up because of me; now it only floats in a frenzy I caused. She had barely held on since last week, and I pulled her lifeline and drowned her just as I was drowning, and I don't think I am capable of reversing it after today.

"Fillip I don't know how she got out of there yesterday."

"I know how. Because you weren't watching her like you were supposed to be." I shut Nina up the moment I walked into the study. Then I turn to look at Leo. "Was that how you swore to protect her, Leo? Can't even keep a 7-year-old in her room?"

"Tell me something, were you actually watching her?" They both didn't talk back, and I had my answer. "Forgive me for trusting either of you; you can go now."

"Fillip-"

"NOW."

Then I sit in an angry silence, but to whom did it belong? Was it mine? there's? Fleur's? For me, that was impossible to answer. Instead, it played with me, as it always did—the silence—controlled my thoughts, and led me down a path that I despised walking down. It all came down on me in waves, subtly at first luring me in, then crashing down on me and pulling me back to the vast sea of endless pain.

"We might have a lead," Christian comes in saying, making me get up to walk after him, abandoning my thoughts, just as I always do. Instead of bringing out my anger on something or someone. This was perfect, the lead we have; at least it got my mind off stuff.

"Where? And are we sure of the lead?"

"One of his clubs. Given the fact that this is a report collected in one day, we can't be exactly sure. The report says that someone who looks like her and is around her age was spotted there two months ago."

"Good enough for a start,"

"We still might not find her there; you know he likes to rotate them. Also, If his men catch us there..."

"If. And then they will have to deal with us." I tell Christian, smirking, as we get into our car to go to one of Alberto's clubs.

*************************

Getting out of the car, I look around while wearing my sunglasses. In clubs like Alberto's, life is always sucked in in the afternoon, then blown back into it at night. People who frequented these places didn't want to be seen; rather, they fed on the feeling of the night. The way they snuck into clubs like these, they partied with all the power they held while the people they controlled slept.

Today was no different. Outside, it seemed like a normal club, but on the inside, only a few knew what happened underneath the creaking, wet floors of the club. Cars rushed outside on the streets, while a few stood on the pavement in front of the entrance.

I inspect the place some more; there are fewer people, fewer guards, and less suspicion. There was a better chance of us going unrecognised, although that was very unlikely. I asked my four other men to stay outside in the car, just in case something happened and to draw less suspicion. It was really simple what we needed to do. Make sure the person we came for is here. Easy in, easy out; no hustle. Alberto would love to catch me looking for women in his club. Everything that I've ever opposed him on, now I was doing in his territory, but it had to be done.

We enter, and my theory is confirmed. Music and lights are low, contrary to the blast of life at night. A few women are dancing on stage, and the smell of alcohol, sex, and piss always present seems relatively lighter, and no big clients are present. A few guards overlook the room, but none pay that much attention, not even when me and Christian walk through the doors.