Chapter One

Before we get in just wanted to let you all know this is my first book and it is a bit rough in the beginning but it gets better as we go lmao. Enjoy tho!!

Beep Beep

Six AM, time to get ready for school, I grabbed my phone and turned off the alarm I had set. Sitting up I looked around, yawned and got out of bed.

As I walked down the hallway the ice cold tiles gave me a rude awakening. I turned to look at the wall and turned on the bathroom light, then pulled the shower curtain to the side and turned on the shower.

I just stood there, waiting for the hot water to come, if I didn't have to keep my grades up I definitely would have skipped school. But I couldn't disappoint my parents, and besides, I wanted to get a good job anyway. Even with that in mind skipping was starting to sound really nice, that and my nice warm bed.

I took a shower, did my hair, and everything else in between. I took a glance at the time, 7:03, I smiled, I have enough time to stop by the flower field. One of my favorite spots was the flower field, even tho it wouldn't be there for much longer, it was the middle of fall. I grabbed my book bag and headed out the door.

Just as I made it outside to the cold side walk I stopped, I hadn't seen Lukas at all this morning. Lukas was the family dog, he was an old little thing. He had been with me since I was little, and I loved that dog with all my heart.  He usually would have pestered me to give him some food or laid down on my feet by now.

I walked back inside to see if I would find him. "Lukas?" I called, maybe he was just asleep. "Lukas," I called a little louder, walking into the living room.

"Lukas!" I was getting nervous, he would always come running if someone called his name.

I ran outside, "Lukas!' I yelled "Lukas!" I  looked over my shoulder, where could he be, it's not like him to do this. I scanned around the yard to see if he was on his way towards me or just laying down somewhere.

I looked over at the tall woods beside my house, he wouldn't have gone there, would he? Sometimes he would go chase rabbits and deer, but he would never go too terribly far. Maybe he got lost, I thought to myself. I ran inside, threw my book bag down and looked at the time, 7:22. I'll be late.

I paused and thought to myself for a second, weighing on what to do. I'd rather have Lukas than good grades, I decided.

And with that I searched the house top to bottom, under beds, behind couches, chairs and desks. Heck, I even looked in the basement. But still, no Lucas. I was getting frustrated, my eyes started to sting and my breath quickened. It's ok, I told myself, trying to calm down, He's just probably outside.

I took a couple of deep breaths and went outside, the air had a chill to it, even though the sun was already peeking out behind the trees. 'Lukas!" I started yelling again. I didn't have any neighbors so I wouldn't have to worry about being too loud.

First, I checked under the house, he had gotten stuck in there a couple of times. But to no avail, he wasn't there. I scanned the rest of the yard, walking around and calling his name.

He must have gotten lost in the woods, I was hoping that he had fallen asleep somewhere, or under the house, anything else but in the woods. The woods were pretty dense, not to mention all the scary stories people tell about it. I wasn't a complete wuss but still, the woods were still pretty creepy.

Sucking in a breath I walked towards the woods, there was a little worn down path I could follow. Walking under the branches I instantly got chills, it felt much colder under the brush, the trees blocked the sunlight from ever reaching the ground. I folded my arms around my body, trying to keep warm.

"Lukas!" I called once again. I continued to call his name, each time growing more desperate than before.

I stopped, I've been walking for a while, I thought while looking around, maybe I should do one last scan of the house and get my phone before I go much farther. I'd hate to get lost here, but at lest Lukas wouldn't be lonely. I smiled at my little joke but it quickly faded as I looked back towards the way back home, then looked backed towards the front.

"I'll be right back Lukas," I  mumbled to myself, trying to keep my hopes up.        

And with that I turned around and walked back towards my house, hoping that Lukas would be there waiting for me.

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛ ♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

Finally I returned back to my house, sadly there was no dog waiting for me by the front door. And to worsen the situation my feet hurt really bad, I always take strolls but nothing this long.

I picked up my phone and looked at the time, 10:25. My parents wouldn't be mad at me, I had a good reason for skipping school. I just wish they were here right now, but they had very busy jobs and I wasn't going to bother them, besides they just would have told me to keep looking.

I got some water and chips to snack on while I rested. I was looking for the remote to change the channel when a woman appeared on screen.

"Breaking news, an unidentified shooter broke into a local neighborhood and shoot the residence-"

I froze, ice filled my veins, that was the neighborhood next to us, my friends might be dead. I turned and listened back to the lady.

"There have been four confirmed deaths. This is still an ongoing case so stay tuned," the camera panned towards the police and ambulances, "The police are trying to find any evidence confirming the identity as we speak. But they warn everyone located near this area to stay on high alert."

Still lose... they're on the run right now, I ran to the front door and locked it. I sat down on the couch to steady myself. Head in hands I started tearing up. What am I gonna do now, I can't go outside. I just sat there, trying to reason with all the factors that have been thrown on me.

What if I just take a gun with me, if the shooter does come near me I'll just shoot him, simple, I convince myself. I walked to my dad's part of the bed and pulled out a little pistol. I grabbed my phone and a thicker jacket to keep me warm.

I gripped the door handle but stopped, taking in one last deep breath I opened the door and stepped outside. Instantly a gust of wind hit me, I shivered by the sudden gust of brisk wind. I stepped back inside, it shouldn't be colder than it was before, the suns out for god's sake.

I opened my phone and clicked the weather app, snow starting in one hour, it read. I groaned, just great, this is just what I needed. I let out a sign, do it for Lukas, it'll be worth it once you find him.

Pulling my jacket hood over my head I stepped outside to the frigid wind and walked into the dark woods.