Chapter 16

Kora's POV

"We've missed you so much!" My mom cried as she pulled me tightly into a hug, holding onto me.

It was so good to be home. Mom never let me out of her sight, even for a second until my dad finally pulled her away. Almost literally pulling her out of my room to give me some personal space for the night. I gave him a thankful smile as he shut the door behind me. As it clicked shut I flung myself down onto my bed.

Checking the clock, it read 10:27 pm.

I was exhausted to say the least. Damon had kept badgering me with questions about Sean or telling me about how "unsafe" he is, but I just brushed him off every time.

Aakansha's party that she planned with the village to introduce me as her mothers "power holder", as she called it, was actually really fun. The people were so patient with me and they made me feel right at home. Tonight, though, I actually had time to study my mate.

His blonde hair came down to just above his emerald eyes, giving almost a more mysterious look as his eyes met mine. He stayed close to me all night, but never next to me. He stayed by himself all night, following me with his eyes. Damon would send him looks every so often through out the night, warning him to stay away but that never kept him from brushing by me every few minutes.

A few times, his arm would rub his arm against mine, making sparks run over my entire arm. His muscles flexed every time he would move to get something, drawing my eyes.

Not many of the villagers talked to my brother or I, but when they did they were very kind to us, making us feel at home. Aakansha, Saisha Damon and I all sat together as we ate, only missing Matthew. I wondered where he was, but I didn't ask. Not after how he left earlier and he and Aakansha's argument about me and the Byron. No one had seen him since then, but no one commented on his absence either. My phone went off on my bedside table, making me jump before I answered it.

"Hello?"

"Kora?" I recognized the voice, a smiling forming on my face.

"Matthew, where are you? We haven't seen you all day. Are you alright?"

"Yes, Kora. I'm fine. Slow down." He laughed at me as I took a deep breath. "Now listen to me, you can't trust that alpha, Kora." He was talking about Sean. "He's dangerous."

"Matthew, I'm fine. He's not going to hurt-"

"Do you even know him, Kora?" He cut me off.

"I know his name." I retorted back a little too quickly.

"Kora, you know Carlos' name. That doesn't mean you trust him, does it?" He had a point. Not a good one, just a point.

I only sighed, rubbing my tired eyes. "Matthew-" I started before a small click came from my window, making me stop. A few seconds later, the sound came again as another pebble clicked against the window.

"Can't you just talk to me over the phone, Matthew?" I laughed as I expected to see him standing below, looking up at me.

"What are you talking about?"

I was wrong. I slowly got up and walked over to it, smiling as I looked down to see who was smiling up at me.

"Kora?" Matthew asked again when I didn't answer him back.

Sean motioned for the window with a small smile as I nodded and he began climbing up the tree that stood next to my window. I opened it for him and he silently climbed through, his feet landing softly on my floor.

"Kora, answer me. Is something going on?" Matthew asked again.

"No, nothing." I answered quickly.