Chapter 7

Matthews POV

I pulled up to the Byron's head house as I pulled out my phone, looking at the time. 10:30 pm. I sighed, sticking it into my pocket, slowly stepping out of my car. The same informer from before came out to meet me as always. 

"Where is the girl?" He asked, looking behind me at my black car.

"I assume she's somewhere." I said shrugging my shoulders like I didn't care.

"You don't have her?" He asked, looking at me with disbelief.

"Is Carlos in his office?" I asked, answering his question with one of my own. The informer just silently nodded, stepping to the side so that I could pass into the house. I quickly went up the stairs and down the long hallway down to his office, quietly knocking on the door.

As he summoned me in I took a deep breath, slowly turning the knob. As I stepped inside, like before, I went up to his desk just a few feet away and linked my hands behind my back, rising my head to look strong instead of weak. But this time, I remained silent waiting for him to speak as he looked at me with a strange look in his eyes.

"The girl?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I don't have her." I said matter of factly. He slowly stood, coming around to the front of the desk, crossing his arms as he leaned against the side of the large desk.

"And why not?" He finally asked.

"I explained it wound be difficult to take her. The witches-"

"My informers told me you fought along side the witches against my men!" He bellowed, shaking the walls. I froze, not knowing what to tell him. "You're not too quick to make excuses now?" He said, unfolding his arms, turning to get something off his desk. My eyes never left him as he picked up his phone, calling someone.

"Bring them in." Was all he said before soon after 5 buff men came in quickly, grabbing me and holding me still as Carlos stepped towards me.

"Why are you protecting her then?" He asked, turning back to me. I just kept my lips pursed as he looked at me.

"Whatever the matter is, it won't be a matter for much longer. Whether you bring her to me or not, I will have her." He said, just a few inches away from me, pulling it a large knife. "But your defiance will not go unpunished."

-------

Kora's POV

I checked the clock for the fifth time but still, the time was moving so slowly. 1:27 am. Matthew had been talking to Carlos for far too long, and he told me he would call me when we left, so he hasn't even finished yet and that made me really nervous.

Without being able to wait any longer I sighed, making my way downstairs to the kitchen. My mom and dad were at the main pack house, dealing with some rogue problems. Apparently some rogues had gotten past our borders, but it wasn't a big deal yet. Damon was up in his room asleep, it was pretty much just me, but hopefully Matthew would be here soon.

I pulled out something to drink just to pass the time as my phone went off in my room. I dropped my drink on the counter and ran up the stairs to my room, searching frantically for my phone. As soon as I had it I answered the call, breathing heavily.

"Matthew?" I asked hurriedly. Earning a small chuckle from the other end.

"If I didn't know better, I'd say your happy to hear from me, love." He said, probably smirking.

"No really. I was just bored." I said, trying to sound normal, but probably failing drastically. He just gave another small laugh.

"Well then, I guess ill just leave if your busy or something.." He said, teasingly, making me stop.

"I'm not busy. Are you coming over?" I asked a little too quickly. Mentally slapping myself. He just chuckled and paused.

"Well if you'd let me inside it would be a lot easier to talk to you." He said with a tight laugh in his voice.

I hurried down the stairs and practically ran to the front door to see him standing outside leaning against the porch banister.

I opened the door and closed my phone, making him look up at me with a smile.

"Hello, love. It's about time." He said, laughing. I just rolled my eyes and smiled, hugging him after I stuck my phone in my pocket. I wrapped my arms around his neck as he hugged my waist, pulling me close to him.

"You are ok? What happened with Carlos?" I asked, quickly pulling back to look over him.

"I'm fine, we just talked." He said, but there was something in his voice that made me doubt him. He looked pale and almost tired as he looked at me but I could tell he was trying to hide it. I gave him a long, leveled look before I spoke.

"Matthew, what happened?" I asked again, pleadingly.

"Nothing." He said again, making me roll my eyes. I looked him over again, trying to find wounds but I got an idea.

I stepped closer to him, placing my hands gently on his shoulders as my lips touched his as he instantly kissed me back. I slowly ran my hands down his strong chest, moving slowly down his stomach until he winced, his lips breaking away from mine. I gently lifted his shirt, revealing his abs, but they were bloody.

"Matthew! You are not alright!" I said loudly at me as I looked at the raw wound across his stomach that looked like claw marks.

"It's nothing." He said as he pulled his shirt back down, not looking in my eyes. I sighed but gently pulled his arm.

"Come on, lets get inside and look at it." I said, opening the door pulling him gently inside. We went into the kitchen and I pulled down the first aid kit.

"Ok, just take off your shirt and let me look at how bad it is." I said, turning to look at him and the giant smirk on his face. "What?"

"You know you don't have to make excuses to see me shirtless, love. All you need to do is ask." He said, laughing as he pulled off his shirt, making me blush.

His muscles bulged as he laughed at my red face, but I quickly cleared my throat and turned back to the first-aid kit. I pulled out the stuff I needed and turned to Matthew, my eyes locking with his.

My heart skipped a beat as he smiled at me, a genuine smile. I thought it was the most beautiful I had ever seen. I smiled back but lowered my eyes to the medicine in my hands, remembering what I was doing.

"This might sting a little." I said, putting some wound alcohol on a small cloth, pressing it against one of the slashes. He winced as the cloth touched his bloody flesh, but soon after relaxed so I could work. After a few minutes I quickly bandaged his stomach with gauze, taking a deep breath.

"Thank you." He said, placing a gently hand on my cheek, tilting my face up to look at him. "Thank you." He repeated, looking into my eyes as he spoke more softly.

"Your welcome." I finally broke out, smiling. "Your tired, you need to rest. Come on." I said, taking his hand as he began to protest. "Shh." I shushed him as I pulled him up the stairs, taking him to my room.

"You can sleep here tonight." I said pulling back the blankets on my bed for him.

"No, Kora. I'm not taking your bed. You need to rest just as much as I do." He said, stopping as I tried to get him to lay down. I just shook my head and gently pushed on his shoulders, making him sit on the edge of my bed.

He took my hand as he finally sat, pulling me between his knees, almost in his lap making my blush.

"Stay." He pleaded as he kissed my hand softly. His eyes locked with mine again as he put his free hand around my waist, pulling me even closer. I sighed but smiled, slowly nodding making him smile as well.

He laid down opening his arms for me as I smiled and shook my head, laying down in them. He let out a deep breath that ran across my neck, giving me chill bumps. He tightened his arms around my waist as his eyes drifted shut, exhausted.

As he fell asleep I gently ran my fingers along his jaw, admiring just how handsome Matthew really was. My eyes slowly drifted shut as I laid my head softly on his chest, his steady heartbeat lulling me to sleep.