Part 22

Deep in the heart of the fleet, anchored in the harbour facing King's Landing, you stood with Aemond and said, "I don't like this."

His knuckles turned white as he watched the soldiers on the ships ahead disembark to take control of the city, his fingers gripping the rail tightly. "You should try to rest, this will take some time."

Exhaustion was heavy on your shoulders after a turbulent sleep but you knew it would be no different if you went below deck and tried to rest once more. The faceless women plagued you, mothers, daughters, sisters lined along the Scythian shores, weeping for their loved ones who were sailing to foreign shores with the very real possibility they would not return. You couldn't erase their cries.

"We should be there with them," you said before a shrill cry, and the reason you were not with the first ships, interrupted you. Leaving Aemond's side, you met Nessa halfway with Jaehaera following close behind the nursemaid, and took Aedira into your arms as you cooed, "Are you hungry, my sweet?"

Aemond curled an arm around your waist and led you beneath the deck where there was more privacy and so he could feed Kilexys, knowing the dragon and babe both had the same hungry appetite. At least this would serve as a small distraction while you waited for the dispatched ravens to return.

The response came at high noon and Aemond rushed to the deck after Ser Negan called him, finding a sealed scroll in the old commander's hand. The wax seal broke as Aemond tore it open to read the message, the path to Red Keep had been cleared and the Lord Regent was awaiting the Prince's arrival.

"The Lannister insults you by calling you prince," you said as you read the message. "You are the rightful King."

"I will be sure to remind them all of the fact."

The ship was rowed to the docks and a carriage was already waiting to take your family to the Red Keep, a familiar face standing among the guards circling it.

"Cole," Aemond choked a little over the name as his trainer turned, looking a little worse than you remembered.

"My King," Ser Criston said by way of greeting and bowed his head before they embraced each other with a clap on the back. "It is good to see you."

"And you."

The only reason Aemond had any idea of the happenings behind the red brick walls while he was recovering in Scythe was thanks to the letters Ser Criston was able to send across the Narrow Sea. Without the intel, taking back the throne would have been less certain - especially when it was Lord Jason Lannister who had assumed the role of Regent in the absence of any Targaryen males.

"The Lords and ladies are waiting, ravens have been sent to those not already here. Are you ready?"

Aemond nodded and his jaw was set with determination. You could feel the subtle shift in him as he stood a little straighter and felt as if the world were righting itself after all the wrongs the past had brought. Even the crowds that had arrived and filled the streets behind the lines of soldiers could feel it and began to chant for the return of the dragon.

You climbed the steps to the carriage with Aedira in your arms but Aemond stopped you, taking his daughter and turning to the crowd. "Greet your Princess, my daughter, Aedira Targaryen."

Aedira blinked at the cheers and looked around curiously as the soldiers held the crowds back. Most of the revellers were supportive and threw flowers into the path of the carriage but the odd individual was taken away when they shouted threats or tried to break the line with a weapon in their hands.

You were more than prepared to kill anyone who tried to stop your family from reaching Red Keep, and so were your soldiers as the carriage left the docks.