Part 11

The canopy of trees bursting with new season leaves had hidden all traces of the army that emerged. With so many soldiers meandering the camp you hadn't even noticed the sound of an approaching battalion but now that you were aware, the grating of armour and the vibrations in the earth were unmissable.

Chaos erupted.

The king had yet to emerge from his tent and although the Scythian camp closed ranks and formed lines as they had been trained to, the City Guard remained a mess. They had only trained for civilian riots and city sieges, the lines would crumple when the enemy crashed into them.

You froze at the fierce roar above and your eardrums ached at the unfamiliar sound before a dark red shadow passed overhead. "Dracarys!" Daemon ordered Caraxes as they flew straight towards the tent where Aemond's family were gathered, where you and Aemond were meant to have been too.

The sun disappeared from the camp as Vhagar dropped from the skies and swooped to intercept Caraxes, an enormous boom shaking the trees as they collided. Both great big dragons crashed into the forest opposite to the emerging army. Flames engulfed Vhagar and you lost sight of her and her rider in the fire and smoke, your voice breaking with the scream for Aemond.

"Princess, princess!" Ser Negan called, resorting to shaking your shoulders until you blinked away the fear that held you rooted among the soldiers. "This is no place for you, get behind the lines and find a horse, run as fast as you can south and find a ship home. Hear me? The lines will fall but we will hold it as long as we can for you. Make haste!"

Your head was shaking with disbelief, this wasn't how it was meant to end, but still more lines of men emerged from the trees. Not even half of them carried the House Fell banner or the red and black sigil of Rhaenyra's House, they must have been the false merchants filling their ranks.

Vhagar still had not risen from where the two dragons had crashed, flattening half of the trees with them, it was another fear that chilled your bones. You lost your bearing as you turned, not knowing where to go, only knowing the pain in your chest was growing once more.

The pain chased away the panic and your head began to clear as the years of education on royal protocol and war strategy rose from the depth of your memory. "I need a shield."

See Negan gripped your shoulders and bent his knees so he was eye to eye with you. "You need to run."

"As your princess, and the highest level of command on this battlement, I order you to bring me an iron shield."

The old man looked ready to accept treason and ignore you but another soldier was there, passing his own shield to you with a bow. The shield was heavy and you had to brace it against your thigh so it didn't pull your balance too much but after a moment you grew accustomed to the new weight.

"If we do not meet again under these stars, I thank you for your friendship, Negan." Your vision blurred as he broke protocol and pulled you into a tight hug and pressed a kiss to the top of your head as much as his helmet would allow.

"The stars are eternal, little sparrow, we will meet again when our time here is done." He sniffled as he stepped away with a firm nod. "Go."

You turned and ran, the soldiers parting as you made your way beyond their protection and into the flattened forest to find Vhagar, and more importantly Aemond.

"Word is you could possibly be the best swordsman in Westeros," Daemon said as he drew Dark Sister and raised the sword into an offensive position. "Unfortunately for you, nephew, that would require besting me."

Aemond smirked as he mirrored the position and avoided dividing his attention by ignoring the dragons still struggling to rise at the edge of the trees. He had faith that Vhagar would fight to the bitter end if Caraxes were to recover enough to pose a threat. "That may have been a challenge ten years ago, uncle, but you are looking your age now."