Part 3

Aemond jumped back from the blade, not expecting the sudden attack after the bloodletting had taken place earlier in your room. The hall outside your chambers was empty since no one knew that was where you had disappeared so no one else heard his string of curses aimed at you, and your forebears too.

"I wasn't trying to kill you, this time," you said with a roll of your eyes as you grabbed the long white strands of hair that drifted to the floor. His eye followed your movements as you wrapped the strands around your fingers and cast your hand over the flaming torch illuminating the hall to melt the ends together. The acrid scent of burnt hair filled the air and irritated your nose but a wave of your hand had the smoky tendrils dissipating. "Congratulations, Prince Aemond, you have conquered me."

He huffed a dark laugh and followed you back towards the throne room where your father would still be holding court for the remainder of the afternoon. "Then why do you smile like you have won?"

"Oh this?" You smiled over your shoulder and threw a wink that had his eye narrowing in distrust. "You would think a few orgasms would put a smile even on your forlorn face."

"I will enjoy watching that smile fade," was all he muttered before stalking the halls to catch up to your side.

You finally understood what he meant when you reached the throne room and found your father's council poring over the marriage contract.

"It clearly states Prince Aemond is to return immediately with the princess - as his wife, not betrothed," Lord Greer pointed to the clause. "This is an attack and it cannot go unanswered. I implore you to kill the prince, your grace."

"You weren't suggesting the assassination of my dear husband were you, Lord Greer?" you asked with an innocent gasp, linking your arm into Aemond's much to his amusement. Whether the amusement was by your action or the threat to his life, you weren't quite sure. "Though this immediate nonsense will need some remediation. It is far too treacherous to make the sea crossing at this time of year."

Aemond smirked and pressed his lips to your ear as he whispered, "We shall take Vhagar then."

Your fist clenched at your side and your father finally broke away from the tapestry he had been staring at before you had entered the room. His eyes were swollen from the tears he had shed and it left an ache in your heart to see him distraught so you slipped from Aemond's side and knelt before the king's chair.

"It is done then," he said as he saw the white hair wrapped around your finger. His own thumb brushed over the dark strands that he continued to wear even after your mother's passing.

"It is." You kissed the soft wrinkles on his hand before pressing your forehead to it. "Don't worry about me, father, I will return home. I have the stars to guide me."

"You remind me of your mother so much. She was fearless, just as you are, and almost as impulsive." The King rose from the chair and pulled you to your feet so he could embrace you tighter than the new corset did. "The Targaryen's will try to break your will, but I know my daughter."

Aemond hid a laugh behind a cough that you pointedly ignored as you returned the hug. "I bend the knee for no one but you, my King."

"If we are to make the crossing by sunset we need to leave now," Aemond interrupted, indeed enjoying the lack of smiles around the room and on your face. "Not that I mind riding in the dark, but riders have been known to disappear into the abyss..."

The words fed the fear your father was already struggling to hide and he gave you a small nudge as if it was the only blessing he could give for the journey ahead, as if his voice had failed him. Trepidation filled you as you walked away from the table that was silent for the first time in your life, the sad eyes of the Lords watching your departure.