Thirteen

The snack bar on their campus was famous for having a quiet and serene atmosphere. It had aisles of different foods and drinks and comfortable tables and seats, making it the students' favorite place to study.

Kunikuzushi set his milkshake on the table, gazing awkwardly at the blond boy and the girl he oh-so-despised. He sighed, running his hand through his hair before he took his seat.

"Well? What happened?" His eyes were slightly softer than usual considering he usually gazed at (Y/n) with much contempt. Unfortunately,  the said girl was not able to observe the difference as she was too busy trying to regain her composure from her most recent breakdown.

"I find it rich you only started to care after seeing me shed some tears," (Y/n) said bitterly. "Actually, I take it back. You aren't as heartless as I thought you were." 

"Just when I started to feel an ounce of sympathy for you." Kunikuzushi scoffed. 

"Sympathy? From you? I'd rather die." (Y/n) shoots back.

"Guys... Can we please not fight in a quiet area like the snack bar?" Aether said meekly. "We're catching gazes..."

"To hell with them then," Kunikuzushi sneered. "I was out here, trying to actually show some care, but then this ungrateful brat—"

"(Y/n)'s not ungrateful, please don't say that." Aether's eyes darkened significantly. "She's just going through a tough time. Please be a little more understanding."

"She wasn't understanding when I needed her to be." Kunikuzushi retorted. "She's no angel."

"I had my reasons, so stop placing all the blame on me." (Y/n) got onto her feet and had half a mind to grab him by his collar. "You're no angel either by the way you treat people! I've heard of all the things you've done—"

"I see, you go way back." Aether nodded, grabbing her wrist and pulling her back down. "How about we talk this out? Sort out your misunderstandings?"

"Shut up, you're not our therapist so stop interfering." Kunikuzushi groaned. "Since when did you learn to peace-make anyway? I thought you let everyone step all over you."

At that, all restraint inside the blond boy just broke. He sighed and crossed his arms. "Jerk." He muttered, looking away.

"Look what you've done." (Y/n) glared, taking it upon herself to comfort him. She grabbed his hand and rubs circles on his palm with her thumb reassuringly. "He was just trying to help."

"Well, I was also trying to help." Kunikuzushi spat. "Look, I know you hate me a crap but I'm not that indecent, alright?"

(Y/n) narrowed her eyes at him as if to peer into his soul. She wanted to believe his honesty, but a part of her wanted to believe there was no more good left in her ex-friend. However, as she looked back at her with those same violet eyes she used to look at with a smile, she saw some humanity in them.

"Fine." (Y/n) sighed. "Then, tell me who the culprit is."

Kunikuzushi rolled his eyes. "I know just as much as you. If I knew who the actual culprit was, did you think I would come after you?"

(Y/n) shrugged.

"Dammit, (Y/n)." 

"Um, if I may?" Aether raised his hand meekly.

"You may," (Y/n) and Kunikuzushi said in unison. 

"Even if Kunikuzushi doesn't know who the culprit is, he might have an idea of who would target him," Aether said. "I-I'm not trying to target anyone, but it's just that he'd probably have lots of enemies and all that you know—"