D A N G E R Z O N E PT II

"You alright?!" Maverick yelled as he ran toward his godson.
"Yeah, are you?" Rooster asked as he watched Maverick running toward him.
Maverick didn't stop until he shoved Rooster hard, making him fall backward into the snow.
"What the hell?! Rooster yelled as he felt the snow around him.
"What are you doing here?" Maverick hissed, taking his helmet off and dropping it on the snow. "You think I took that missile so you could be down here! You should be at the carrier by now!"
Rooster had gotten on his feet.
"I saved your life!" Rooster pointed out with a loud voice.
"No, I saved your life!" Maverick hissed. "That's how it's supposed to be!" He breathed.
Maverick wasn't making any sense to Rooster. "What is this a movie?! You sacrifice yourself while I go and live happily ever after with Ava...? Which by the way I do want, but cheez man,"
"What are you doing here?" Maverick asked.
Rooster shook his head. Had he not heard him? "You told me not to think!"
Maverick couldn't argue with him anymore. He was right. Maverick was just glad that he was okay.
"Okay-okay, it's good to see you, kid," he breathed with relief now.
"It's good to see you too," Rooster nodded. He took a deep breath. "Now what?" He asked. "What's the plan?"
"We need to find a way out of here. Come on, let's go," Maverick ordered.
As they ran through the woods, Rooster and Maverick looked around themselves.
"How?" Rooster said. They didn't have a working jet.
Maverick didn't answer. He didn't have the answer to that just yet.
Rooster nodded. He breathed in and then spoke.
"I asked Ava to marry me," Rooster found himself saying as they ran.
"I know," Maverick answered.
Of course he would know. Rooster thought as he rolled his eyes.
"I promised her I would bring you back home,"
Rooster snorted. "No, I promised her I would be back, and that's what I plan to do,"
"Well, it's best we both keep our promises then,"
Rooster nodded. Then he thought about what he had been wanting to ask.
"I met her," Rooster said. "Was her father that bad?"
Maverick gazed over at his godson. Scanning the trees, their surroundings then over at Rooster, finally understanding who he was talking about. "She is from another lifetime ago," he gazed away only this time because he felt awkward. Charlie was someone he loved, but let go because Maverick couldn't move on from his past.
"Why didn't you fight for her?"
There was a long pause from Maverick.
Rooster nodded sternly. "Why didn't you fight for me?" It was just like him to run away. Rooster didn't need to have Maverick take care of him. He could take care of himself. But when Rooster needed Maverick the most, he left.
Maverick closed his eyes and nodded. He knew what this was about. "I did it all wrong," he apologized. Maverick turned to his godson. "But I'm not anymore! Not with you, and especially not with Penny, and right now, I'm fighting for you, kid. " Maverick could feel the ice cold air hitting his cheeks, his eyes growing dryer. "I was scared... and you - you are stronger than you'll ever know, not like me.. it took me thirty years..."
Rooster shook his head, agreeing. "Well, now you're here and... I need you to be here, you hear me?" He pointed. "I need you here!"
Maverick nodded with relief and took the apology that he had thought he would never receive. He wasn't going anywhere.
Both stared intensely into the others' eyes, understanding what was said. Then Rooster nodded. "Okay, let's not make this awkward. Let's go,"
They kept running and then stopped over the hill. Hiding within the snow, they watched as the smoke pinned up high and pilots running through the landing path.
"What is that?" Rooster asked, squinting his eyes as the cold air made it harder for him to see better."Is that an F14?"
"We're going to ride that thing and see if it works. Come on!" Maverick ordered.
Back at the carrier, Beau was certain that no words could keep his Ava calm. He walked out of the busy room and took a deep breath. How was he going to break the news to his daughter? Beau looked down at his watch. He would have to send out a search mission. Perhaps sending out Hangman and Fritz, the other men could give him time to fill the gap of loss. These were his men, after all, and even though Maverick wasn't someone he had appreciated too much in the past, especially when he left the way, he left things with his sister Penny. He was still an okish man.
Sure, Penny was a big girl, but she was still his little sister. After that, the moran of her ex-husband broke things off with Penny. Maverick came along to fill that hole only to leave it empty once again. And Beau knew that feeling all too well. He, too, had experienced it. Then there was Rooster, his daughters fiance. Beau knew how much that boy loved his daughter. He had just not been able to accept it. Because he had been so far parted from his Ava, that distance was not an option, and so Beau reacted like any father would. A father who was losing his daughter to a man who would take his place as someone who would share all her secrets and her laughter. But then it dawned on him that very second. Ava had always spoken to him about everything except boys up until Rooster came along. Gosh, he couldn't get her to shut up. But even then, she would speak to him. And she would laugh with him and more importantly she loved him. Beau knew Ava loved him. And Beau loved her soooooo much he was just afraid that she'd forget him. But Beau knew Rooster was perfect for Ava all along. Not once did he ever disrespect him or try to be more. He was as he should be a Bradshaw with goose attitude.
So now Beau had to do something. There was no time to lose. He went back unsure of how all of this was going to work out when Hondo spoke. "Admiral, that's Roosters' ESAT,"
"How?" Admiral wondered.
"His supersonic sir,"
"How?" Admiral Simpson repeated now.
"It appears to be an F-14, Sir," the second officer said.
Hondo looked up with relief and shock.
Warlock shook his head. "It can't be!"
Admiral shockingly said. "Maverick?"
"Get Hangman out there," there was no time to waste. They could be followed. "Now," he ordered.
"Hangman, get ready to fly up on wings,"
Hangman did as he was told.
"Ready and..."
Hangman didn't hesitate or waste his time he was off the carrier before Hondo even had time to let the comms officers speak.
Once on the air, he found himself checking every corner. His radar was in check. He was alert. Hangman sped through the sky, hoping he could get there in time.
In his radar, Rooster didn't seem so far.
"You can do this," Rooster told Maverick you would if I wasn't here," he knew Maverick could.
"Yeah, but you are here!"
Rooster knew he had to try. "Maverick... I trust you, I guess I always did, and i was too stupid to ever admit it," Rooster told him. "But we're in this together now,"
Maverick closed his eyes for a split second and then nodded. He was going to do everything in his power to get them out of here.
"Hold on!" He ordered as the force of the jet pinned Rooster back to his seat. Making him huff in the process.
Even though the jet was old, it still gave enough power. And running with power right now was Maverick. He had this.
Hangman didn't know how long Maverick had been trying to fight off the enemy, but he saw what he had to do. He blasted one missile toward the enemy and blew it into the air. This went on until the jet no longer had any amount of emo.
"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen," he greeted them coming through the aircraft he had just blasted the enemy to parts. "This is your savior speaking." Hangman kept going cockingly.
Rooster laughed with relief. "Hey Hangman," he was so glad to see him.
"You look good,"
"Thanks, Rooster. I am good. I'm very good."
Admiral sent for Ava. He had grown worried. Ava had been standing at this point. "Ava," Josh called her name.
Ava turned so fast. "Your father sent for you,"
Ava followed Josh out and walked toward the other entrance of the tower.
"Dad," she breathed, afraid to even wonder what he might have called her for or what was even happening.
Beau pulled Ava toward him as she watched with confusion as an f14 flew by them at the tower.
She gasped, feeling the quick force of the jet. Ava had never been bothered by it. She lived for it. Her father then calmly pulled her up.
Ava was about to ask when her head turned to the landing. It was Maverick...? She took the binoculars her father had in his hand and looked through them. Her heart skipped a beat.
She watched through the window glass as her eyes teared a bit. Rooster stood tall from the back of the F14, deepened by the worry earlier, Ava had now breathed with relief.
The landing began to crowd with pilots and flight deck members. Rooster freed himself from the back and stood tall as he waited for Maverick to jump down, and then he followed.
Everyone cheered.
Rooster hugged Phoenix and grinned as Hangman stood next to them now.
"You can be my wingman anytime, man," Hangman said. His lips formed into a grin. He was very much impressed by Roosters' bravery and could see why everyone liked him now. But Hangman was still the best. "But I'm still the best," he teased.
Rooster shook his hand and laughed. "Let's say we're both even,"
"Maverick beats both of you," Phoenix chimed. Trying to remind Hangman not to overdo it.
Rooster then turned over to Maverick, who looked over at him. "Sir, I just want to say..." he felt struck with emotion.
Maverick didn't give him a second to explain. He pulled Rooster in for a hug. He was filled with so much emotion. Maverick couldn't find his words. Only that he knew his godson was safe.
"Thank you," Maverick whispered.
"It's what my dad would have done," Rooster said.
Once parted, Maverick looked up to see Ava across the crowd. He turned Rooster around and gestured with his eyes, a smile forming. Rooster followed his gaze, and through all of this commotion of victory, time stood still as he looked over and saw Ava standing over the rails. His heart reacted to her. He turned to face Maverick and smiled.
"Go," Maverick grinned. Rooster made his way through the crew and toward Ava.
Ava met him halfway down the stairs.
She stared at him for a brief moment before she jumped into his arms. Rooster closed his eyes. As he pulled her in. He could smell the sweet coconut smell coming off her body.
"I'm back," he whispered. His voice, husky. They were together now, and that's what he had promised her. As he held her frame against his, Rooster could hear her soft breathing he looked over at Admiral Simpson, who simply gave a nod.
It was then that Rooster realized just how much had changed after today. He pulled away from ava and cupped her face, leaning in to kiss her.