T A K E M Y B R E A T H A W A Y

Rooster was still asleep, wrapped around the bedsheets, when he noticed Ava was not in bed with him. He got on his feet and put his boxers on. They had stayed in a rented condo for the past two days. Rooster had done it because having roommates made it hard for the couple to enjoy themselves intimately or even just time for a Sunday night. And it was his way of celebrating her twenty-sixth birthday.
They were on the west coast of the island, which was known to be the richer side.
"Why can't you just bring it to me like a normal parent?" Rooster could hear Ava arguing on the phone. She sighted. "No, Papa, it's just impossible for me to, oh, I don't know. Just walk into the premises without having gawking eyes stare at me while the privileges of being your daughter make it weirder. " Ava didn't mind it, but she kind of hated going to base on occasion if Rooster was there. Well, that wasn't a problem.
Rooster was standing on the other side of the screen door, watching her. Ava noticed. "Fine dad only this once," then hung up. Ava and her father were not meeting eye to eye lately, so she made it harder for him. It was only fair to have him move outside his comfort zone and have her meet him somewhere else aside from the base.
"Hi," she breathed, taking in his strong chest. Ava blushed as she thought about last night. It never failed how he could take her breath away.
"Morning," he smiled half-heartedly. He opened the screen door and stepped outside. They stood on the porch overlooking the ocean. The waves were calmer now. Last night, the waves rocked the shoreline as Rooster and Ava made love. It was as if the sea knew that they needed each other.
"What did your father want?" Rooster wondered. He watched the water. Rooster knew about Ava's time as a mechanic in Top Gun. She had done it one summer and never went back again. So, he never asked her why she hated going back.
"He wants to give me my birthday present,"
Ava looked down at the bracelet Rooster had given her last night. It was a gold bracelet with aviation wings. She held it against her heart when he placed it around her wrist. "That way, you aren't too far from me when I'm up in the sky," he had told her. Then he watched her. "Baby," Rooster breathed, gasping at the sight of her. Ava's face lighted beautifully with the candlelight. God, he loved her.
"Dance with me," He had told her. His voice was swift but quite seductive.
If loving him wasn't enough, Ava simply got on her feet and took his hand as he guided her to the middle of the living room. She stepped on him.
"I love you, Ava," he hummed softly, spinning her around.
Ava pulled him down and started kissing him. Dancing into the night with his hands squeezing her ass cheeks.
"So," Rooster said. "Breakfast, sex and shower?" Brining her back to reality.
Ava laughed. "Didn't you have enough last night?!"
Rooster raised his brow questionably and smirked over to her before he lifted her up. "What!" Rooster pushed the door open in the process and ran inside.
After Rooster dropped Ava off. Ava took off on her own to go meet up with her father. She rode on her yellow scooter, feeling the nice morning breeze on her skin. When Ava arrived at the base, she headed toward the tall building where the main offices were held. Ava, like any other family member or employee that walked inside the Air Force Domin, was checked up and down.

"Hey," Gabe greeted Ava. He was one of the securities in the front. "Still seeing that pilot?"

"Yes, Gabe, I'm still seeing that pilot," once given a hall pass. Ava headed over toward her father's office.

She knocked gently on the door and waited for her father to answer, he did.

"Come in," her father was sitting down.

On his desk, his name plate read. Admiral Beau Simpson.

"Isn't there more to that shirt?" Her father asked, pointing at her stomach. He wasn't too pleased by it.

Ava looked herself over and then over at her father. "It's a crop top, and it goes well with my mom jeans, so a hi, how are you? It is also quite appreciated," she didn't mind showing a bit of skin. Plus, her black boots made her outfit.
Her father sighted. "Ava..." he began.
"Papi, no," Ava said. "I didn't come here to argue,"
Beau Simpson got on his feet. He didn't want to argue either. He knew her Latina side could come out. Beau had been so busy with work, and though this caused such a massive strain on their father daughter relationship. Beau tried. He loved his daughter.
"When are you coming home?" He asked.
Ava couldn't believe him. After everything he put her through. How many times had he forgotten her birthday? How many times had he forgotten dinner? Her school plays and activities? Ava shrugged. "I don't know, I like it with Aunt Penny and Amelia, we get to spend more time together,"
Admiral nodded. Ouch.
He went over to his coat closet and pulled out an envelope from his jacket. "I got you an early present," he handed it over to her.
Ava looked at the envelope. She wasn't surprised to see that he had given her money.
"Thanks..."
"Don't open it until you feel comfortable," If Ava could think of a million ways to fix the relationship, she wanted to start now. She always did. Last night when Rooster watched Ava sleep. He pulled her close, waking her up in the process. "We have a dangerous mission coming up," he had told her.
Ava sat up, covering herself with the bedsheets. She was naked underneath. "What sort of mission?" She had asked.
"It's confidential,"
Ava rolled her eyes. "Rooster,"
"It's real," he whispered, his breath warm against her face as he ran his fingers through her hair. "I want you to know that no matter what happens, I'll always love you," he had eyed her with so much love it nearly broke her.
Ava had grown scared. "Don't talk like that. Why are you talking like that?"
"Your father hates me, but I'll make amends with him if I have to," he promised.
Now Ava feared for the worst. "Rooster..." she moaned. Rooster had not wanted to scare her, but he had to tell her that sometimes training didn't keep one alive. He kissed her instead as she held him tight, climbing over his bare body. Ava had draped the bedsheets free from herself, baring her breast. Rooster eyed every inch of her nakedness before both gasped in need.
As soon as Ava had opened her eyes that morning, she started overthinking. She thought about her dad. Was he going up in the air again? She couldn't bear if both men who meant so much to her went up together.
Ava had been thinking all night after that.
Then her dad called this morning. And here she was, standing before him.
"Have you taken your lunch?" She asked, hoping he hadn't eaten yet. She wanted to spend her birthday with him.
Her father shook his head. "I was just heading out,"
"Want to go to Rutt's?" She pitched with a smile.
Sitting outside the small little fast-food restaurant, Admiral spoke first. "So, are you and Bradly still...?"
"Yes," Ava answered. She knew how they once had a fallout over Roosters' temper. "It's crazy. He almost had a confrontation with Maverick the other day..." she stopped herself. F**k she thought. Why had she even brought this up? She looked over at her father.
Admiral sat up straight. "What?" He spoke. Had he heard correctly? He squinted his eyes at her.
Ava took a chip and shoved it into her mouth.
"Ava," her father held an authority when he said her name.
"It was nothing, Papi, really," she promised. "I didn't know about their history, I mean, I knew about the guy who caused Rooster so much pain, but..." Ava's voice softened now.
Admiral clenched his teeth. "History?" he sighted. "Ava, Rooster needs to man up and let go, even I know the story behind it and let me tell you this... when you lose someone like that..." he paused, choosing his words. "I understand it was his father, but something like that...it haunts a man," Admiral didn't feel so strongly about Maverick heck he hated the guy. But he knew what it was like to lose someone. He had in the past.
Ava could only stay quiet. She knew about Uncle David.
"Ava, next time that happens, promise you'll stay out of it?"
"Sometimes, I feel as if you're taking to a five-year-old me, I'm not by the way," she clarified. "But yes, dad, I will stay out of it."
Ava only agreed because her father wouldn't drop it if she didn't. "Okay." She said while he watched her. "Did you try on the shirts I got you, Papa?
"I need to lay off the bread," he chuckled.
Ava laughed. "Daddy, you need to lay of the pasta too, but I know you won't just try okay," she poked at her crab salad before eating it.
Her dad did the same and made a face he hated salads. But he was hungry. "Mmm," They both said. Ava knew she had to keep an eye on his food choices.