Chapter 23

"Harry, I don't think I should come with you."

The boy had dragged Addi from the library to come to his dementor lesson with professor Lupin. However, the girl wanted to, one, keep looking for a way to contact Rose, and two, didn't want to intrude on something personal. It was plain to her that Remus Lupin had been friends with Harry's father during their school years- Sirius had even told her so. The Marauders. 

Harry rolled his eyes, keeping his hand laced with hers as he tugged her toward the defense classroom. "I want you to be there. You might even learn something."

Instead of arguing further, she just sighed as they entered the room. He gave her a pleading look to which she rolled her eyes, "I'm not leaving, I promise."

The smile that Harry gave her, reminded her that this is what friends do for each other and she pushed away her sour mood. They stood for a few moments making small conversation until professor Lupin came down the stairs from his personal room. 

"Harry, there you are. You came...and you brought a friend! Hello Miss Tyler," He grinned at her, his scars whitening as they stretched. 

"Hello Professor," Addi waved, causing the older man to chuckle. He then turned back to Harry who was shifting from foot to foot.

"Are you sure about this, Harry? This is very advanced magic- well beyond the ordinary wizarding level." He informed the boy, whose face slipped into one of determination. Addi admired him for it, she always had.

"I'm sure," Harry nodded. 

Lupin nodded back and walked over to a trunk that would give a violent rattle every few moments. He patted the top, "Well, everything's prepared." He walked back over to the two with a serious look, "The spell I'm going to teach you is the Patronus charm. Have either of you heard of it?"

Harry shook hi head while Addi nodded, she'd come across quite a few things in her search for otherworldly communication. "It's notoriously known for being the hardest defense charm. It is used to produce a sort of protector. It takes the shape of an animal."

"Very good, Miss Tyler. However, for a patronus to take the form of an animal requires lots of concentration- that is called a corporeal patronus. Today we will be trying for a non-corporeal patronus. Same effect, no form. Alright, a little more about it as well. A patronus is a positive force. For the wizard who conjures one, it acts as a sort of shield with the dementor feeding on it rather than him. But in order for it to work you need to think of a memory. Not just any memory, a very happy memory, a very powerful memory. Can you do this?" Harry nodded once again as Addi began to replay her happy memories, like a film. Lupin continued, "Yes. Very well. Close your eyes. Concentrate. Explore your past. Do you have a memory? Allow it to fill you up. Lose yourself within it. Then speak the incantation...expecto patronum."

Addi found herself doing everything he was saying without meaning to. She found his voice calming and comforting. She heard Harry say the spell at the same time she did, but made no move to open her eyes.

The memory playing through her mind was of her first Christmas at Hogwarts. She'd spent the entire day with Harry and the Weasley's they had engaged in a snowball fight and Addi had been filled with immense happiness and felt like she had found another family at school. 

"Very good," Lupin told them. He then approached the rattling trunk, unlatching the lid, but holding it closed for the time being. "Shall we? Wand at the ready."

Addi stepped back as Harry took out his wand, holding it up, he nodded at Lupin who opened the lid of the trunk. Out flew a dementor, a shiver going down Addi's spine as the candles in the room flickered. Sadness filled her lungs and she tore her eyes away, waiting for Harry to get rid of it.