Chapter 15

After classes that day, Deimos goes up to his dorm to respond to his older brothers letters.

Bill,
Hogwarts is amazing! I never thought I would find food like mum's anywhere else but Hogwarts' is a close second. I've made friends with Harry Potter, he mainly hangs around with Ron though. I've also found a friend in a girl called Hermione Granger, she's really smart and enjoys reading. Ron hasn't been the nicest to her as he thinks she's a 'know it all', like I said she's smart because of all the reading she does. That isn't a bad thing, she already feels left out because she doesn't get along with the girls in her dorm yet. I just hope Ron doesn't do anything to upset her, she's a really good friend and I'd hate for him to upset her.
I'll try talking to Ron but no promises. He hasn't made any move to talk to me and he still hasn't apologised for what he said. Hopefully Percy won't tell mum or dad, I don't want them to think we can't get along when they aren't around. I mean, it's true but they don't need to know that.
I'd love to see you in the summer, maybe we can see if we can find any creatures to save. Oooh, maybe we'll find a fire salamander! I'd love to see one of those, though they can't lifelong outside of fire so we'd have to make sure that it was being treated properly.
Have you met any creatures in the vaults or tombs you've worked on? What was the most fascinating one you have found?
Love,
Deimos x
P.S. I'll be sure to tell you about Qudditch in my next letter. I have my first practice later, I got given a Nimbus Two Thousand by Professor McGonagall!

Smiling, he moves onto Charlie's letter.

Charlie,
Hogwarts is amazing! It's everything I hoped and more, I've already made a couple friends. Hermione is probably my best friend though, she's really smart and nice. She likes ready and is interested in my creatures, she's already met them and they really like her.
We haven't had a Quidditch practice yet but I have my own broom now. I got given a Nimbus Two Thousand by Professor McGonagall! It's amazing! You and Bill will have to try it out in the summer, I have practice this evening so I'll be able to tell you about it in my next letter.
I've enclosed an old jumper for Rosie. She's go so big now but she will always be my baby. I would love for her to live with me! Of course I know there will be rules, I don't want anyone getting trouble. Especially of it means Rosie could be hurt, or taken away from us.
I'll send a letter to mum and dad now, ask them about Christmas and coming to see you and Rosie.
Love,
Deimos x
P.S. I'll tell you about my first practice in my next letter.

Grabbing another piece of parchment, Deimos starts writing to his parents.

Mum and Dad,
Hogwarts is amazing! I'm really enjoying it so far. I've made a couple friends, my best friend is a girl called Hermione. She's smart and enjoys reading, she's a great help if I don't understand anything. You'll really like her dad, she's a muggle born and has been teaching me all sorts about the muggle world. I don't know if you've been told but I got put on the Quidditch team, I'm the youngest Chaser in a century! Professor McGonagall got me a Nimbus Two-Thousand, she did the same with Harry as he got made Seeker.
Charlie sent me a letter about you going with Ginny to see him at Christmas, would I be able to come with you? I really miss Rosie, Charlie said he's going to send you a letter about me coming with you. Let me know if I can come when you've decided.
How's work dad? Anything interesting happened? How about you mum?
Hope you and Ginny are well. Tell Ginny I'll send her a letter about my first Quidditch match.
Love,
Deimos x

After writing his letters, Deimos jumps as Ron and Harry run in and unwrap Harry's broomstick "Wow." Ron sighs, as the broomstick rolled onto Harry's bedspread. Deimos shakes his head slightly, grabbing the letters and going to his window. Opening it, he does an owl call which makes Star fly over from the Owlery "Can you take these to mum and dad, Bill, and Charlie?" he asks her. Star affectionately rubs her head on his cheek, taking the letters and flying off.

Soon Deimos looks at the clock to see that it's almost time for Quidditch Practice, making him grab his broom and head down to the Quidditch field. Walking into the pitch, Deimos sees Harry "Hey Harry." he greets. "Hi Deimos." Harry responds. "Race you round the pitch." Deimos grins, climbing on his broom. "You're on." Harry smiles, doing the same. "One, two, three!" Deimos exclaims, speeding off at the same time as Harry. "Hey, Potter, Deimos, come down!" Oliver calls as they do their last lap. The two eleven year olds fly down and land next to Oliver "Very nice, I see what McGonagall meant... you both really are naturals. I'm just going to teach you the rules this evening, then you'll be joining team practice three times a week." Oliver tells them, opening the crate. Deimos watches as Harry looks at the balls with intrigue "Right. Now, Quidditch is easy enough to understand, even if it's not too easy to play. There are seven players on each side. Three of them are called Chasers. That's what Deimos is." Oliver explains. "Three Chasers." Harry repeats as Oliver takes out the Quaffle. "This ball's called the Quaffle. The Chasers throw the Quaffle to each other and try and get it through one of the hoops to score a goal. Ten points every time the Quaffle goes through one of the hoops. Follow me?" Oliver asks Harry, knowing Deimos knows all this already. "The Chasers throw the Quaffle and put it through the hoops to score. So, that's sort of like basketball on broomsticks with six hoops, isn't it?" Harry asks. "What's basketball?" Oliver asks curiously. "Never mind." Harry tells him.

"Now, there's another player on each side who's called the Keeper. I'm Keeper for Gryffindor. I have to fly around our hoops and stop the other team from scoring." Oliver continues to explain. "Three Chasers, one Keeper, and they play with the Quaffle. Okay, got that. So what are they for?" Harry asks, motioning to the black balls that are shaking the box. "I'll show you now. Take this. I'm going to show you what the Bludgers do. These two are the Bludgers." Oliver explains, handing Harry a small bat. "Stand back." Deimos advises. Oliver let's out one of the bludgers that immediately rises into the air before speeding towards Harry, Harry quickly swinging the bat and hitting it. The bludger zooms round before Oliver finally manages to tackle it to the ground, Deimos helping him get it back in the box "See? The Bludgers rocket around, trying to knock players off their brooms. That's why you have two Beaters on each team, the Weasley twins are ours, it's their job to protect their side from the Bludgers and try and knock them toward the other team. So, think you've got all that?" Oliver asks. "Three Chasers try and score with the Quaffle; the Keeper guards the goal posts; the Beaters keep the Bludgers away from their team," Harry recites. "Very good." Oliver tells him.

"Er, have the Bludgers ever killed anyone?" Harry asks. "Never at Hogwarts. We've had a couple of broken jaws but nothing worse than that. Now, the last member of the team is the Seeker. That's you. And you don't have to worry about the Quaffle or the Bludgers unless they crack my head open. Don't worry, the Weasleys are more than a match for the Bludgers. I mean, they're like a pair of human Bludgers themselves." Oliver reassures him, reaching into the box and pulling out the last ball. Deimos smiles slightly "This, is the Golden Snitch, and it's the most important ball of the lot. It's very hard to catch because it's so fast and difficult to see. It's the Seeker's job to catch it. You've got to weave in and out of the Chasers, Beaters, Bludgers, and Quaffle to get it before the other team's Seeker, because whichever Seeker catches the Snitch wins his team an extra hundred and fifty points, so they nearly always win. That's why Seekers get fouled so much. A game of Quidditch only ends when the Snitch is caught, so it can go on for ages. I think the record is three months, they had to keep bringing on substitutes so the players could get some sleep. Well, that's it, any questions?" Oliver asks. Harry shakes his head as Deimos throws the Quaffle into the air, catching it each time "We won't practice with the Snitch yet, it's too dark, we might lose it. Let's try you out with a few of these. Deimos, you go practice throwing the Quaffle into the hoops." Oliver decides, pulling out a bag of golf balls. Deimos climbs onto his broom with the Quaffle, flying up to the hoops and throwing the Quaffle in. After a while Oliver starts defending the hoops as Harry takes a break, Deimos managing to get the Quaffle past Oliver multiple times.

Soon night falls making the three of them head down onto the ground, packing up and heading back to the castle "That Quidditch cup'll have our name on it this year, I wouldn't be surprised if you turn out better than Charlie Weasley, and he could have played for England if he hadn't gone off chasing dragons." Oliver tells them. "He still plays in the summer with me and our siblings, same as Bill." Deimos tells him. "He know about you being on the team?" Oliver asks. "Yeah, he's excited about it, so's Bill. Wants to know all the details about practice." Deimos smiles.