Chapter 7

"GRYFFINDOR!" the hat exclaims making Deimos let out a large sigh of relief he wasn't aware he was holding as he walks over to the Gryffindor table. "That's our baby brother!" the twins cheer pulling him between them. Deimos goes red with his hair going a royal blue at the same time "Enough you two." Percy whispers at them making Deimos laugh slightly at the twins faces. Soon Harry is called up making people start whispering to each other and Deimos roll his eyes at their rudeness, knowing how nervous Harry must be. Harry walks forward and sits all the stool, the hat being placed on his head and sitting there for a minute "GRYFFINDOR!" it shouts making the entire Gryffindor table explode. As Harry reaches the table Percy jumps up and shakes his hand "We got Potter! We got Potter!" Fred and George begin to chant making Deimos laugh and shake his head, Harry sitting down opposite them. The last four people get sorted Dean Thomas into Gryffindor, Lisa Turpin into Ravenclaw and finally it was time for Ron who was placed into Gryffindor with the rest of his family. Deimos grins and claps as Ron sits next to Harry "Well done, Ron, excellent." Percy congratulates pompously as Blaine Zabini is the last person sorted, going into Slytherin.

Albus Dumbledore stands up making everyone settle down and listen to him "Welcome, Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you!" he says before sitting back down. Everyone claps as Harry looks at Percy "Is he -- a bit mad?" he asks seemingly confused. "Mad? He's a genius! Best wizard in the world! But he is a bit mad, yes. Potatoes, Harry?" Percy asks making Harry look at the dishes in surprise. Deimos chuckles slightly as he starts filling his plate with roast beef, roast potatoes and carrots with gravy and a yorkshire pudding. Fred nudges Deimos making him nudge George who does it back making Deimos nudge Fred; this goes on for a minute with the three of them struggling not to laugh "Stop it you three." Percy glares making the three of them laugh at his face. "Stop what Percy?" Fred asks."I think he means this." George tells his twin nudging Deimos who nudges Fred, starting it up again and making Percy glare harder. Harry looks at Ron "They're usually like this, the twins tend to dragDeimos into their pranks and jokes." Ron explains. Deimos smiles and his hair goes a light purple as he continues eating "Wow! You're a metamorphmagus!" Hermione exclaims seeing Deimos' hair change. Deimos blushes slightly, his hair going pink with his cheeks "That he is, has fully honed his skills yet..." George smiles. "...But his cousin is helping him with that." Fred grins.

When everyone finishes eating the plates empty, desserts appearing seconds later, smiling Deimos helps himself to rice pudding before chopping up some strawberries and laying them on top "Enjoying yourself?" Fred asks making him nod. The other first years start talking about their families making Deimos bite his lip slightly "I'm half-and-half. Me dad's a Muggle. Mum didn't tell him she was a witch 'til after they were married. Bit of a nasty shock for him." Seamus Finnigan tells them making them all laugh. "What about you, Neville?" Ron asks. "Well, my gran brought me up and she's a witch but the family thought I was all-Muggle for ages. My Great Uncle Algie kept trying to catch me off my guard and force some magic out of me. He pushed me off the end of Blackpool pier once, I nearly drowned but nothing happened until I was eight. Great Uncle Algie came round for dinner, and he was hanging me out of an upstairs window by the ankles when my Great Auntie Enid offered him a meringue and he accidentally let go. But I bounced all the way down the garden and into the road. They were all really pleased, Gran was crying, she was so happy. And you should have seen their faces when I got in here, they thought I might not be magic enough to come you see. Great Uncle Algie was so pleased he bought me my toad." Neville explains. "What about you Deimos? McGonagall said Malfoy-Weasley, what's that about?" Seamus asks. "I was adopted by the Weasley family when I was a couple days old." Deimos explains his hair going dark blue as he wants the subject to change. Seamus goes to ask another question but is stopped when he sees the looks he's getting from Percy, Fred, George and Ron.

Once everyone finishes dessert Dumbledore stands up again "Ahem -- just a few more words now that we are all fed and watered. I have a few start-of-term notices to give you. First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. And a few of our older students would do well to remember that as well. I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors. Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of the term. Anyone interested in playing for their house teams should contact Madam Hooch. And finally, I must tell you that this year, the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death." he tells everyone. "He's not serious?" Harry asks Percy. "Must be. It's odd, because he usually gives us a reason why we're not allowed to go somewhere -- the forest's full of dangerous beasts, everyone knows that. I do think he might have told us prefects, at least." Percy responds. "And now, before we go to bed, let us sing the school song!" Dumbledore says giving his wand a flick, a long golden ribbon flying out the end and transforming into the words "Everyone pick their favorite tune and off we go!" he tells them. "Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts, Teach us something please, Whether we be old and bald Or young with scabby knees, Our heads could do with filling With some interesting stuff, For now they're bare and full of air, Dead flies and bits of fluff, So teach us things worth knowing, Bring back what we've forgot, just do your best, we'll do the rest, And learn until our brains all rot." everyone sings at different time. Fred and George finishing last with a slow funeral March, Dumbledore conducting them with his wand "Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here! And now, bedtime. Off you trot!" he tells the students.