𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 - found out

It was two days before the winter dance

It was two days before the winter dance. It was also two days before winter break began. Everyone was anticipating this event, even Y/n, as much as she hated how many problems it brought her. 

She spotted Robin and Finney walking to their class.  Finney nods at Y/n while Robin flirtatiously smiles at her causing Y/n to get flustered and go to her class faster. Finney looks confusedly at Robin, who only shrugs, pretending not to know what happened.

Y/n sighed as she plopped down next to Vance Hopper, who was carving something into his wooden desk with a switchblade.

Vance looked up at Y/n and nodded at her before blowing the dust off his creation and slipping the blade into his back pocket before a teacher could catch him in the act.

She looked over at his desk to see his initials carved inside the wood forever.

"You going to the dance?" Y/n questions. 

Vance shrugs in reply, playing with his pencil. "I don't know. School dances are fucking dumb, so probably not. You?"

"Yeah. I'm going with Robin," She responds. Vance nods his head as he sketches on a piece of paper. 

Looking up, she saw Bruce sitting with his friends. He looked fine. It looked like nothing had happened that night. She hoped he had gotten over it and wasn't pretending he was okay. But honestly, he was faking it. 

Bruce stared at Y/n, who was conversating with Vance Hopper. It was a strange duo, but not everything was as expected, just like how Y/n rejected him when he went through all that effort sneaking into her house and asking her out constantly. However, Y/n's liked Robin for years. Everyone knows that. 

Y/n glances at Bruce, who is already looking at her. She gets nervous as she pulls out her notebook to prepare for the class. She didn't need anything for the lecture since she had turned in all her assignments. Y/n only wanted to look busy.

The teacher strides in, immediately writing reminders on the board. Y/n zones out, resting her hand on her palm. 

-

At lunch, Finney, Robin, and Y/n sit by a table next to the window— Robin is sitting next to Y/n while Finney is seated in front of them.

Finney chewed on his ham & cheese sandwich as Y/n picked some fries and ate them. Under the table, Robin's pinky inched toward Y/n's hand, resting on the bench. He softly takes her hand while Y/n chokes slightly on the food she is eating. She eyed Robin, who only gave her. a smug smile. 

"What is going on with you guys? Am I missing something?" Finney asks, his mouth still full of his lunch. Y/n's eyes widen as she glimpses at Robin.

"We're going together to the dance," Robin exclaims proudly, holding up their hands which were still intertwined. Y/n instantly drags them down.

Finney's eyes widen, with his mouth agape; "What." 

His voice was both shocked and happy at the same time. "Finally. You two dumbasses figured it out. I've waited three years for this," he chuckles before throwing his trash away.  

Y/n furrows her eyebrows. She expected a massive reaction from Finney, but he was likely tired of it, so he was glad they got together. Kind of; they haven't put a label on it.

They look at each other and laugh at Finney's response to the news. It was odd, but it was hilarious. 

-

After school, the trio decided to walk home together. 

"Please don't tell me that I have to third-wheel you guys," Finney complains, adjusting his navy blue beanie.

"Yeah, you are. Deal with it," Robin jokes, slinging his arm over Y/n's shoulder. Finney groans in disgust while Y/n only laughs at him. 

While walking down the pavement, Y/n notices Bruce Yamada is at the park, laughing with his friends. She looked down immediately, hoping he wouldn't see her. 

Unfortunately, he recognized her. Bruce's face dropped as he turned and began to walk away. Y/n sighs. She wished she could've stayed friends with him or ended their relationship on good terms.

"Come on, Robin. Y/n already chose you. No need to glare at him," Finney mentions.

Y/n rolled her eyes at Robin, whose lips tightly pressed in a line. "Whatever," he responds, bringing Y/n closer.

They arrived at Robin's house. "See you tomorrow," He says, walking up the stairs and into his home. 

"Have you asked out Donna yet?" Y/n asks as they approach her house.

"No. I'll do it tomorrow, though. I swear," Finney promises himself. 

"Hey, that's great! Tell me how it goes," she responds, waving Finney goodbye. 

Strangely, Y/n was excited about the dance. It wasn't like prom or homecoming, but she couldn't be more thrilled. 

-

A/N:
the next chapter will be the last!! this is the longest book I've written so far...
anyway, i hope you have enjoyed the story <3
i plan on publishing a tbp imagines/preferences book soon
please vote and comment, seeing these types of notifs can easily make my day. 
thank you all, have a lovely day <3