𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 - late nights

Y/n lay comfortably reading a thriller book

Y/n lay comfortably reading a thriller book. It had been a few days since her talk with Robin, and since then, it's been great. Robin and Y/n have been closer than before, and Finney is suspicious about what's happening between them.

Although, she hasn't talked with Bruce in a while. As much as she was disappointed that he liked another girl, she still wanted to be friends. 

Outside, it was snowing. It wasn't too hard or too light; it was just right. Y/n yawned as she got up to place her book away and get ready for bed. Glimpsing at the clock, she realized that it was almost midnight.

She dressed into a warm crewneck sweater and pants before wrapping herself in her comforter and snuggling into her bed. Y/n huffed as she switched her lamp off before drifting off to sleep. 

Just as she was about to doze, she heard a rapid tapping on her window, causing her to jump. Y/n turned on her lights and grabbed a lamp on her desk to use as a defense. Was she dreaming, or was someone trying to sneak into her room at midnight?

Y/n carefully opened the latch to her window, a rush of cold air blowing into her face, making it numb. She gripped the lamp firmly as the person outside fell into her room, creating a loud thud. 

The boy brushed the snow off his head and shoulders before looking up at Y/n, smiling.

"Bruce?" Y/n whispers, putting the lamp back. What was he doing here?

He chuckles. "Were you going to hit me with that?" Bruce points. 

"It's midnight; a random person knocked on my window. Of course, I have to protect myself!" She responds, sitting on her bed. "You also made a huge noise!" 

Y/n was upset that Bruce hadn't spoken with her in a few days. And now, all of a sudden, he appears at her window? 

"Sorry. I've never snuck into anyone's house before," Bruce scratches his neck.

"Why are you here?" Y/n asks. 

Bruce inhales deeply before sitting beside Y/n. She moves a bit to the left to give him space. 

"I was going to finish what I started last time," he answers, nervously shifting in his seat. 

Oh no.

Y/n's breath hitches. He was going to ask her out. Y/n didn't want to reject him, but she chose Robin over him. Bruce was too late.

Before she could say anything, she heard a knock on her door. Y/n looks at Bruce in panic as she shoves him into her closet. 

"Y/n? Is everything alright?" Her mother questions, opening the door. 

She nods quickly, pretending to pick up the lamp. "The window opened, and my lamp fell," Y/n lied. 

"Oh. Well, go to sleep. You have school tomorrow," Y/n's mom suggests before softly shutting the door. Y/n exhaled in relief as she opened the door to her closet. 

"Woah. That was close," Bruce laughed, sitting on the bed. Y/n nods before sitting next to him. Now, he was going to ask her something, but she already knew.  

"So, Y/n, w-wanna go to the dance with me Friday?" He questions, shivering. She wondered how long Bruce had been outside of her house.

Y/n sighed. "Bruce, I'm sorry, but I can't go with you," Y/n replies, pressing her lips into a thin line. She looked over at him, and his face dropped. He was disappointed.

"Oh."

"I'm sorry, maybe you could—"

"It's because of Robin, isn't it?"

Y/n fell silent once again. She was speechless. Bruce knew it was because of Robin, but Y/n didn't have the guts to tell him. So, she only nodded in reply. 

"Yeah, I thought so." 

Her heart dropped. Y/n felt a massive amount of guilt. She did like Bruce before, but all those feelings disappeared into thin air; for some reason. It was like she led him on, but Bruce was also with that brunette girl days before. 

"Why don't you ask that girl that went to our class a few days ago?" Y/n suggests, slipping her sleeves over her hands. 

"Oh, Katherine? No, I'm not interested in her," Bruce replies.

"It seemed like you were," Y/n mutters as Bruce glances at her. 

"We're just classmates. I think she likes me."

"You think?" Y/n teases as Bruce lets out an insincere laugh. He was too miserable to laugh, even if it was with the first girl he's ever crushed on like this.

The clock read 12:49 AM. "I should get going," Bruce swallows before getting up. Y/n follows him to her window. 

Y/n took one last glance at him. You could tell he felt awful by his heavy eyes, but he forced a warm smile.

"If things don't go well with Robin, I'll be here waiting for you."

Y/n's shoulders fell as her lips curved into a frown. No, Bruce. Please don't wait for her. Many girls out there would love him more than anything in the world.

Those were the last words Bruce said to Y/n before slipping out the window and climbing down. She watched Bruce as he wiped his face with his sleeve while walking home. She sighed heavily, collapsing on her bed. Y/n got to be with Robin, but at what cost?

Fuck.