𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 - bleachers

Y/n anxiously tapped her foot while sitting on the cold, rusty bleachers at the small gym

Y/n anxiously tapped her foot while sitting on the cold, rusty bleachers at the small gym. She was supposed to meet Robin; Y/n didn't want to, but she didn't want to let him down. 

It was half past three. Robin was late, as always. Y/n began to get ready and leave.

The large doors unexpectedly swing open, revealing the long-haired boy wearing a white t-shirt with a charcoal-gray jacket. He slowly hiked up the stairs and sat beside Y/n, exhaling harshly to try and wait until the tension got easier. 

Y/n was unsure of what to say. Nothing came to mind. The last time she had a conversation with him, he kissed her. It was her very first kiss. 

Breaking the silence, Y/n swallowed. "Why do you want to talk?" she asks, not looking at him. 

"Come on, Y/n. You know damn well why I want to talk," Robin responds, crossing his arms. A few more students walk into the gym, luckily not sitting near them, so they don't hear their conversation.

"I don't know what to fucking say," Y/n scoffs. "You were the one that kissed me first," she continues quietly, hoping no one around would eavesdrop. 

Robin only sat there. It was his fault, but was it a mistake? 

"I'm not sorry, you know. I've wanted to do it for a long time, so I did," Robin adds. Y/n took a glance at him. He was staring outside the windows. It wasn't snowing, but it was icy. 

"How long?"

He shrugs. Y/n sighs at him before getting up, mentally groaning. If that was all he needed to say, Y/n didn't have a reason to stay. 

Suddenly, she felt a hand wrap around her wrist. "Can you just stay?" Robin asks, letting go of her. As much as Y/n wanted to leave, she naturally sat alongside him. As much as she was upset at Robin, she couldn't stay mad. Sometimes, he could do stupid things. 

"You should apologize."

Robin scoffs. "Why?"

"You interrupted Bruce and me when he was about to ask me out, and you kissed me."

"You kissed back!" He retorts. 

"It was an in-the-moment thing!" Y/n whisper-yells. 

"So you didn't want to kiss me?"

Biting her tongue, Y/n hesitates. She did want to kiss him. However, she didn't know how to answer him. "Uhm... I did want to kiss you," she responds. 

"Then why are you upset at me? You're so confusing."

"I don't know, okay? I've liked you for the longest time, and when I finally find another guy I'm interested in, you admit you like me. You've shown no interest in me until now. It makes zero fucking sense, Arellano. You are the confusing one." Y/n rambles. 

Robin sat there, speechless. He has shown that he's interested in her multiple times. She's only too dumb to figure it out. 

"Oh."

That was the only word that could escape Robin's lips. He had so much to say, but Robin couldn't form the words into sentences. He took a deep breath and cleared his throat.

"Look, Y/n. I'm sorry. I have liked you for a long time, but I don't know how to show it—  that's what Finney says. When Bruce came into the picture, I got jealous, so I interrupted your guy's date without thinking. You can stay mad at me for as long as you want. I just wanted to let you know that," Robin explains. He curses under his breath as he stares into the distance.

Y/n stares at him in shock. Robin has never expressed his feelings like that before. It was a rare occurrence. Robin does like her. After years of denial, this confirmed it. He likes her. Robin Arellano, her best friend, loved her back. And at that moment, Y/n realized that her feelings for Bruce Yamada weren't as intense as Robin's. It was always him, no matter how many boys there were. 

Mindlessly, Y/n leans in, softly placing her lips on Robin's. Robin slowly moves a strand of hair from her face before kissing her back. 

They pull away, remembering that they were in school. After a short moment of silence, Robin lets out a chuckle. 

"Can I be your date to the dance?" 

"Yeah, I'd like that," Y/n smiles. 

Y/n and Robin walk down the bleachers, their hands brushing against each other, smiling so happily that they light up the room. 

-

PUBLISHED: NOVEMBER 17, 2022
EDITED: JANUARY 9, 2023