Part thirty

HEY SORRY FOR SUCH A LATE UPDATE BUT PLS ENJOY, VOTE, COMMENT, FAN AND SHARE. I LOVE YOU ALL, PLS DON'T HATE ME xxx 

~~~

I gripped onto Rhiannon's limp and cold hand, as I looked up to the nurse who was fiddling around with the life support, before she stopped and met my gaze with a sorry look in her eyes. "Are you ready?" She asked. "As I'll ever be." I sighed, a tear escaping from my eye and dribbling down my cheek as I dropped my head in sorrow, closing my eyes and waiting for the sound I had very much dreaded.

Ever since Rhiannon had been in this hospital, the monitor had had a continuous beep sound; one after the next, as if it was a city truck backing up on the street, alerting anyone nearby. And I guess, this machine was a lot like the beeps of a truck- it alerts you whether the person is alive, that the heart is working, just like the truck alerts onlookers that it too is alive and moving. However, now I was faced with having to listen to the monitor change its tone, and become constant. And, when it eventually did, the long flat piercing sound penetrated my ears, as the monitor flat lined. At first, I didn't react, I just couldn't. But then, overwhelming feelings of sadness and anger hit me like a lorry, and I began to shake her lifeless body. "Wake up! Wake up; you can't do this to me." I screamed. "Please." I begged, my voice breaking at the end as I dropped onto my knees and sobbed uncontrollably on the floor. "Please." I murmured one last time, before breaking down in tears once more.

***

"Zayn? Are you alright?" A voice asked as they shook my body. "No, how can I ever be alright? She's gone!" I screamed, finally looking up at the person who had awoken me from my sleep. As soon as I did, and saw Niall scrunch up his face with confusion as he assessed me. I, also confused, looked around me and everything from the day before flooded back. Within an instant, I jumped up, running down the corridor and into Rhiannon's room, telling myself it was just a nightmare and reminding myself what exactly had happened yesterday. When the nurse turned the life support off, and I waited for the prolonged flat line of the heart machine to confirm that she was actually gone, it never came. Shocked, along with the doctors and nurses, Rhiannon's body was just about strong enough to cope alone, without the life support, giving everyone a new kind of hope that out did all the fear that we had had before hand. It was a miracle.

Finally, I got to her room and burst in, but, to my dismay, the bed was empty and the sheets were clean and untouched. I froze, my heart slamming furiously against my chest as I presumed the worse. That she was dead. Frantically, I traced my steps as I ran down the corridor, passing Niall and arriving at the nurses' station. "Excuse me. I am looking for Rhiannon Crookes; she's not in her room and the bed seems untouched. I don't where she is, did something happen overni-" I rushed, my voice breaking at the end. But before I could say anymore, a nurse hushed me. "She's fine, we moved her into the ward as she is strong enough now to be out of ICU, try not to worry, this is good news. It's the first step to recovery." She said. Recovery. The one word I thought would never come, would never happen, but it finally was. I took a deep breath, not being able to suppress the smile that had crept onto my face and followed the nurse into Rhiannon's room.

As soon as I was in, I ran over to her side, grabbing a chair and pulling it over so it sat on the side of her bed. I looked up at her face. She still wasn't conscious, but the colour had restored in her face, and, when I grabbed her hand, it wasn't as cold as before. My heart skipped a beat as I realised that very soon, I could potentially have my Rhiannon back, and when my suspicions were confirmed by the nurse who claimed that she should awake in the next few hours, I knew that everything was going to be okay.

However, I still felt as if something inside of me was missing, making my heart ache with misery. And then I realised; it was my little girl. I had been trying so hard to get through the day without dwelling on the fact that she was gone, focusing on getting Rhiannon better, but now that I knew she was getting there, all the emotions I had first felt when I was told we had lost Lily came back. I felt sick, an overwhelming amount of worry and sadness building up in my chest as I felt a lump find its way into my throat. I felt a single tear fall down my cheek, and soon enough, I was full on crying. I let go of Rhiannon's hand, laying it gently down on the bed before running my hands through my hair and turning to face the window.