Eleven

Everyone was tired looking at lunch the next afternoon. Several, including Indigo and Shirley, looked like they were a bit hungover from the Halloween party. Clemma was completely satisfied with the way it had gone. But Honey was eyeing me like I had stolen something from her. Now that my preoccupation with Halloween was over, I was able to think clearly about what had happened with Cleopa. Cleopa was a shy girl that I had barely taken notice of, and I was certain that she wouldn't put glass in someone's shoes. Truly Anne was fine, if a bit rattled, and completely unaware of who had done this to her. The maids had sworn it wasn't them, and everyone believed them because Honey and Vivianna had made them believe poor Cleopa had done it. But I wasn't sure, and with what Indigo and the necklace... It had been verified that Cleopa had gone in the room, however, but not with any sort of glass item, by the security footage.

"So Lumina, how do you feel about your relationship with Prince Travon?" asked Honey, completely putting me on the spot.

"Good, I suppose."

"Good. I feel great," she said, taking a bite of her salad. "Of course, I-"

Suddenly, there was a crash and a yelp. My first thought was rebels, and I stood up, as did Fall and Echo, but nothing else happened. Instead, the room went silent, all talk extinguished. We all looked around to see Paisley, her hair covered in the thick sauce from the fettuccine alfredo, a few brave noodles slowly slipping down her face. Shards of ceramic were everywhere. Paisley took one look around before falling, face first, into her plate, which didn't help the look. Shirley, who had the broken plate raised above her, looked horrified with what she had done.

"Shirley, no," moaned Carlotta, but it was all over for Shirley. Butlers rushed to carry Paisley, who was unconscious, to the hospital wing, dripping noodles and alfredo all the way, while Shirley slowly lowered the plate, realizing what this meant.

Just like that, we were down to twenty-one.

"What happened?" asked Indigo as we sat down in the Women's room.

"I don't know, I don't know," said Carlotta, burying her face in her hands. "We were just talking about the competition, and Paisley kept pestering Shirley about her relationship with Travon, until she cracked, I guess." Carlotta was practically in tears. We'd heard nothing of Paisley, only that the injury wasn't fatal, and probably just a concussion. Shirley had left immediately.

"I bet Travon's with her now," said Honey, flipping a page of her magazine lazily.

Something inside me ignited with rage.

"Paisley's injured. Shirley hurt her because she was under pressure. Honey Bamford, is the fact she's getting extra time with Prince Travon the only thing that you can stand to worry about right now?" I shouted at her, disgusted.

Honey looked up at me. "I'm just saying, don't feel too bad for her."

My reply was cut off by a cough from the doorway. Travon was standing there.

"Lady Lumina?"

I wove my way around the couches and went to see Travon.

"Yes?"

"Would you like to go on another date with me?"

"Yes," I said firmly and followed him down the corridor.

"Okay." he started."I've thought this through, and I'm going to tell you everything. However, I can't do it...here."

"Okay," I began, not sure of what he was implying.

"Lumina, I've, for the first time in a while, got nothing to do this afternoon."

"At all?"

"At all. And I don't want to spend my free time in the palace, so I was wondering if you wanted to come with me?"

The thought of being away from the palace with Travon, like when we'd met both terrified me and excited me. "Of course, but will anyone recognize us?" The thought of being caught by rebels or even recognized by some normal citizens was scary. But I needed to get out of the palace, even for one evening.

Travon had thought this out. He'd somewhere found a pair of denim pants for me, a plain white shirt, and a jacket. I felt more like myself in these clothes. He looked different too, in a pair of khaki pants and plaid buttoned shirt. I wasn't wearing makeup, but I wore a hat too, which covered a lot of my white-blonde hair. Travon instructed me to keep my eyes averted from anyone. If we didn't make eye contact, it wasn't likely anyone would recognize us. He was clearly a pro at this sneaking out of the palace stuff.

"How are we getting out?" I whispered as we hurried out onto the grounds.

"Through the woods," he said, motioning to the large forest that extended as far as I could see.

"So," I said, after half an hour of hiking through the forest. "Is this how you get out every time?"

"Yep," he said. Whereas I was panting and struggling to keep up, Travon was in his element, completely at peace with the hike. Eventually, we reached a road, which led us into an ally. But by the time we were through the alley, we were in downtown Angeles.

"Wow," I muttered. At home in Likely, the shopping district was more industrial looking, with lots of factories. However, the narrow streets here were lined with shops that looked locally owned, not chains, and filled with lights in the setting sun. Shoppers, mostly Two and Three looking people, were bustling about, holding shopping bags and looking stressed.

"Would you like to get some food?" asked Travon, motioning to a stand on the side of the road that was selling street food. Since Travon's food was prepared by the kitchens and I never had money to spend on anything but groceries, neither of us quite knew what we were doing. But we got our tacos and sat down on a bench.

"This is weirdly good," said Travon, taking a bite of his taco. Half of the filling spilled out and onto his lap, and I guffawed.

"I guess that's what I would say if I'd lived in a palace my whole life."

"Oh, shut up."

The most amazing thing was that no one was staring. While I was at the palace, a lot of the maids, butlers, guards, advisors, or anyone, would watch me and see if I needed anything. Here, it was relaxing to know that I could finally do things for myself.

"At least you're not wearing your palace pants." He rolled his eyes but smiled nonetheless. "So this is what you do when you sneak out? You leave your life in the palace to come to eat tacos?"

He shrugged. "Not much else to do. It's just...nice. Not to have everyone's eyes on me, you know?"

"I get it," I agreed. "How many people ask you daily if you need anything?"

"One hundred or more," he said, sighing. "I appreciate it and all, but...this is my way of seeing what my life would be like if that didn't happen."

"Is that why you were in Likely?"

Travon looked around. I'd been talking a little too loudly because people were glancing at me a bit more than usual.

"Come with me," said Travon, and pulled me down another alleyway, but, still being the prince, made sure to throw the paper from his taco in the trash can.

"Am I about to find out-"

"Everything."