Seven

Something had shifted. Instead of treating each other as bitter enemies, some of The Selected were starting to form more groups than little pairs. For instance, I'd figured that after they came to check on me, I could call Truly Anne, Sorrel, and Angela my friends. While some, especially Angel, seemed more reserved, she often joined us for a game of cards. Indigo and I often sought one on one time with each other, however. Despite our new friendships, we simply clicked better than the others.

Honey, however, had an inner circle. Amara seemed to be her closest, as they often spent most of the day chatting together in the Women's room. Poismesa and Vivianna were stuck by her side outside of the Women's room, and Lorianne and Clemma were in the perfect position to collect gossip and rumors. This group was constantly dogged by Shirley, who took it upon herself to provide them with ammunition against the rest of us.

Echo and Harper Gray spent most of their time together, usually accompanied by Fall, Cleopa, and Harmony.

The next Report was coming up, but for this one, we'd be interviewed. Now that the crowd had thinned a bit, and eliminations were fewer and far apart, the public wanted to know us.

Honey had just gotten back from her second date in a row when we were being coached for our interviews.

"How was it?" asked Amara.

"Amazing." breathed Honey, loud enough so that the rest of us could hear her perfectly. "He was very romantic. We held hands and went to the cinema. We watched a romantic comedy." she sighed dramatically. "Is there anyone who hasn't been on a date yet?" There was silence throughout the room, but twenty-three pairs of eyes swung toward me. "Oh, sorry," said Honey with a fake simper. "It's okay, Lumina, I'm sure he'll get to you eventually."

I raised my eyebrows at her. "Thanks for the vote of confidence, Honey."

"No problem!" said Honey. I couldn't understand why she was being so kind, but then I noticed why. Behind me was a cluster of cameras that were recording what was going on. Of course, Honey was playing the crowd.

I decided to leave so that I wouldn't hit Honey and get kicked out of the competition. My parent's needed the money.

I didn't know what to do. I wandered around the halls for a couple of minutes, pacing back and forth. Finally, I decided to visit my maids. However, I stopped when I heard two voices talking.

Amara and Honey were walking down the hallway. I dived behind a statue and into its alcove. I didn't feel like dealing with Honey anymore today.

"Why'd she leave?" asked Amara. My warped view of Honey shrugged. "She's so dramatic. And have you seen her in the Dining Hall? She eats like a pig!"

Honey snorted. "The only thing I can't figure out is why she's still in the competition. She hasn't been on a date."

Amara grimaced. "They're probably keeping her around because of her caste. You know, so they seem like they don't care about caste? But we all know she won't last long. And that white hair? They act like she's so special, just because she's got toe-head blonde hair, and she's pretty."

It took a minute to dawn on me that they were talking about me.

The interview night was upon us. Marigold was the only maid in the room, as she was washing my hair while going over questions that we would likely be asked.

"Where'd your name come from?" asked Marigold, blow-drying my hair.

"My mother chose it for me. She said I had the brightest white hair when I was born, and so she wanted to call me Lumina. Luminous, Lumina?"