Eigth

My maids didn't question the bags under my eyes. They washed and brushed my hair like they usually did. They dressed me in a gray dress, which was floaty and soft, made of tulle. However, the moment I opened the door, Saline greeted me.

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but directly after breakfast, there is a required meeting for all Selected." and she continued down the hallway, where she knocked on the door of Indigo's room. Indigo and I hurried down the stairs to the dining hall.

The room was buzzing with whispers about what could be happening after breakfast.

"Maybe it's another elimination!" whispered Truly Anne, her eyebrows concerned. "I hope I don't have to leave! I thought I had a good date with him."

"Maybe he's announcing the Elite," said Clemma. "Or he got my message about the Halloween party!"

I ate a small portion of scrambled eggs slowly, but soon we were ushered out of the dining hall, and into the Great room, where chairs had been set up. I wondered why whatever this was couldn't be done in the Women's room. However, Travon stepped to the front of the room, along with Saline.

"Thank you for coming, ladies," said Saline. It was a required meeting, so I didn't quite understand why she had to thank us. "This is an important message for the Selected." Saline clicked a small device in her hand, and a white screen descended from the ceiling. On it was projected a static-filled screen. Saline clicked another button, and the screen came to life, playing a video.

"They're probably keeping her around because of her caste. You know, so they seem like they don't care about caste? But we all know she won't last long." Amara's voice rang out over the speakers. "And that white hair? They act like she's so special, just because she's got toe-head blonde hair, and she's pretty. She's no competition, but Shirley, she needs some, let's say, humility. I think..."

The video ended, and Saline clicked another button. The screen retracted into the high ceiling again. Twenty-three pairs of eyes, including my own, swung towards Amara. She was beet red.

"This would have gone unnoticed, however, the cameras, which are meant to capture every moment of the palace, did their job. Behavior like this is not tolerated here at the palace. If it were up to me," said Saline, turning to face Amara. Amara's face had gone from red to pale in a matter of seconds. "I would dismiss you on the spot. However, that decision can only be made by Prince Travon." Saline said bitterly.

"Yes, she's dismissed. Please pack your things immediately." Travon's normally polite voice was filled with a disgusted tone that I'd never heard before. "There will be a plane sent to take you home as soon as possible."

Amara looked around as if looking for an excuse on the walls, but that came to nothing. Her eyes landed on Honey, pleadingly, but Honey shook her head once. The cameras had only picked up what Amara had said. Honey was safe.

Just like that, we were down to twenty-three.

We got the results of the interview back the next day. The public had voted in three categories-Look of a Princess, Beauty, and Matching With the Prince. I was shocked to find out that I was in sixth place in the Beauty ranking. Shirley was first place for Look of a Princess, followed by Angel and Poimesa. For Matching with the Prince, Paisley was in first place, followed by Honey, and Orchid.

Honey was devastated by her low score of third place, despite the fact she placed first on beauty. She'd replaced Amara with Clemma, who was at her side at all times. Shirley was devastated that Honey hadn't chosen her as her right-hand woman, but recovered quickly by gossiping about reasons why Lorainne Keeper and Belinda Wishton had left. The truth was that they'd left for lack of recognition after the photoshoot results, but Shirley spun tales of outrageous arguments and tears that no one believed.