Chapter 15-Concerned Mothers

It was a normal day, and you were at the library with your fifteen year old son. You couldn't trust him home alone as he seemed to be a magnet for trouble. You should've known better than to bring him out of the house, because you soon heard yelling. You rushed over to find your son arguing with another boy.

"Are you kidding me? It wasn't my fault!" The other boy yelled.

"Yes it was!" Aaron yelled back. And then he punched the other kid in the shoulder. In response, the kid tackled Aaron. "Shit!" Your son cursed as he tried to get away from the other boy.

"Enoch!" You heard a woman shriek. "Stop this instant!" The boy shot up upon hearing the woman's voice. He glared at the floor as she scolded him. "Do you know nothing of manors? This is not what I taught you!"

Meanwhile you helped Aaron up. "What happed?"

"He tripped me."

"That is no reason to punch him! You know how I feel about violence."

"It's always the answer?"

"No, Aaron. It's not to be tolerated." You looked back at the other two, who'd stopped talking after the boy apologized to the woman you assumed to be his mother. You were shocked to find that ten or so other children had appeared while you scolded Aaron. How many children did this woman have? Perhaps they'd just come to watch the fight?

She walked over and bowed her head slightly to you. "I apologize for my wards horrible behavior. I'm afraid he has a very short temper."

"No need to apologize. It was my son who got physical."

She gave you a soft smile and held out her hand. "My name is Alma Peregrine, you are?"

"Y/n Y/l/n." You returned the smile as you shook her hand. "Now, Aaron, why don't you go apologize to Enoch, was it?" Alma nodded.

"Yes. Enoch, you owe Aaron an apology as well."

The two begrudgingly apologized to each other before leaving again. The large group of children that had formed seemed to mostly disappear again. "Are all those children yours?" You asked the other woman out of curiosity.

"No, they're all my wards. I have no children of my own. But I love them all as if they were truly mine." She smiled, looking at a young girl as she struggled to make out the words in a picture book. "And is Aaron your only child?"

"Afraid so. Sadly my husband died years ago before we could ever have a second one." You shrugged, now also looking at the young girl.

Alma glanced at you. "I'm sorry for your loss."

"Don't be. I'm long over it." You looked back at the other woman, smiling. "Say, do you happen to be free next Saturday? There's a new restaurant opening on the mainland I want to try, but I don't want to go alone. And I don't think I'd be able to bring Aaron."

"We haven't known each other ten minutes and you're already asking me out?" Alma smirked.

"I- no I didn't- I'm going to shut up now.." You hid your face in your hands, embarrassed.

"I don't see why I wouldn't want to go. You seem lovely. We'll meet at your house, say, five? Where do you live?"

You gave her your addresses and agreed for five on Saturday and then both went your separate ways. That was definitely the best trip to the library ever.

—————

Books bring people together