Chapter 9-Nightmares

You groaned in annoyance as you sat up, awoken by a nightmare again. You'd suffered from similar nightmares the past few years. But recently they'd gotten a lot worse. You'd wake up at least once a night in a cold sweat, panicked. Every time someone asked what the dreams were about, you would always refuse to give them even a clue. You ignored them when they called you stubborn.

This was the fifth horrible nightmare in a row, and the second time you'd woken up that night. You sighed and just decided to get up, giving up on sleep altogether. You made your way downstairs, planing to make a cup of tea, but stopping in your tracks when you saw Miss Peregrine already in the kitchen. "And why are you awake?" She didn't spare you a glance. "Another nightmare?" She looked up at you with pitying expression.

"Obviously." You rolled your eyes and walked past her to start the tea.

"I do hope you're planning on drinking decaf. You wouldn't want to drink anything caffeinated at this hour, would you?" She took the kettle from your hands and gave you a pointed look.

"I don't even know what time it is." You shrugged and went to take the kettle back, but she held it out of your reach.

"It's two in the morning, darling." She sighed and set the kettle on the counter. She said nothing as she grabbed your hand and began walking away, making you follow. That or be dragged across the floor. And she'd done that more than once before. "You should at least try to get some sleep." She said as you both walked up the stairs.

"I don't need to sleep. I'm an ymbryne, Alma. You know very well I can go a long time without it." You tried to pull your hand away, but her grip only tightened as she neared your door.

"That doesn't mean you should. And it's still not a good habit to get into!"

"Says the one who I found in the kitchen at two in the morning. Hypocrite." She rolled her eyes, not something she does very often, and dragged you into your room.

"Get in bed."

"That's what she said." You muttered under your breath, trying not to crack a smile as you said it.

"Pardon me?" Alma asked, though she'd obviously heard it.

"Nothing." You responded quickly as you flopped on the bed face first. She shook her head at your antics but walked over to the other side of the bed, sitting down. "You have your own bed, you know."

"I'm aware. But I think it would be better if I were here. To make sure you don't get out of bed. And to be there if you need someone after a nightmare." She said, thinking back to one of the few times you'd sought her out after a nightmare, then apologized a lot for bothering her.

"Fine then. Stay on that side of the bed then." You didn't want to get to close to the woman for various reasons, one being you had a giant crush on her. She excepted this rule and there was a large gap left in between you both for the night. You had another nightmare that night, but you didn't want to wake her up afterwards. So you went back to bed again, trying to get any sleep at all. When you woke up the next morning Alma was already downstairs preparing breakfast.

The day went by quickly, you wished you could stop time, but sadly ymbrynes could only rewind it. The time you dreaded most came around again, and it was time for you to crawl back into bed and hope you could for once sleep well. Alma joined you after changing her her room and once again kept a gap between you both.

That night she woke up to you crying. She tried her best to comfort you, but you'd refused to let her touch you. Eventually you fell back asleep. Alma lay awake for a long while, often glancing at you to assure herself you were still there and perfectly safe. But she wished she could find a more effective way to help you.

The next night she woke up once again to you crying. "Love.." She held out her arms to you, hoping you'd accept the invitation this time. Thankfully you gave in and allowed her to wrap her arms around you. Eventually you both fell asleep again, cuddled up next to each other. And the was a first night, in a long time, that you slept peacefully.

—————

Birb